Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

To Berlin!

GERMANY | Saturday, 13 September 2014 | Views [327]

Berlin Kite Festival

Berlin Kite Festival

I woke up and caught a S-bahn to the train station this morning.  My ICE train to bring me from Hamburg to Berlin was running a little behind, but it was not much of a problem. To be more precise, only half of the train was late. Since it is a more popular route, they link two trains together to get more people on the same trip. I got on the first half and started reading for the 90 minute journey to Berlin. As the train is pulling into Berlin Hauptbahnhof I got a call from my friend Matt. I met him out on the platform. He was with his friend Fredrico and a beer for each of us.

We took a train over to Matt’s apartment and dropped off all of my stuff. Matt lives just feet from where the Berlin Wall used to stand. There is a brick section in the sidewalk and the road that follows the path of the old wall. His apartment is barely on the East side of the wall. Therefore tour groups come by and talk about the times people would dig tunnels or use ladders to cross the wall. I think his building is historically listed because not much has changed on it since the soviet era.

We went to a kite festival at an abandoned airport. It was pretty interesting to see. Later in the evening we went to a burger place for dinner. Yup. It was The Bird. There are only three The Bird restaurants and I’ve now been to two of them in two days time. After the late dinner we went back to Matt’s and watched some really bad dinosaur movie.

Tags: berlin, germany, hamburg, kites, old friend, the bird, trains

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.