Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

To Belgium!

BELGIUM | Thursday, 28 August 2014 | Views [472]

Leaving St. Pancras

Leaving St. Pancras

I ended up at the pub crawl again. It was much better than the first time. Two people from the hostel came with me (Philippe and Laura) and there were around 15 people in total.

Today I hung around and had a nice breakfast before working my way to the train station.  I got to the station way too early. With about 2 hours to spare actually. I decided to read some of my book and explore the station. St. Pancras is pretty large and next door to King Cross. Combined they provided ample space for exploration.

A few hours later I went through security and ended up on the Eurostar out of the country. The train ride was only about two hours long and got me to Brussels.  Most of the ride as spent in tunnels. In Brussels I changed trains to one going toward Ooskende (it also stops in Bruges). It was much slower than the Eurostar, but there were much better views. After an hour or two the train arrived in Bruges.

Bruges is a small town with a ton of small winding roads with difficult names. It only takes 30 minutes at a stroll to cross the town. Navigating your way is the hard part. My hostel was across the city from the train station and the rain had cleared up, so I wanted to walk my way there. I knew my hostel was approximately a block or two from one of the churches in town.  Aiming myself towards one of the steeples, I went into the city. It took me longer than 30 minutes to get across town that first time.

At my hostel, there was a free pub crawl starting a few minutes after I checked in.  It looked like a good way to meet people, so I joined up.  The crawl was fun. I got to meet a lot of people staying at the hostel (some Canadians girls, English girls, and a boat load of Aussies). There were so many Aussies out with the crawl that I felt like I was back in Queensland. The crawl guide was absolutely awful. He was so out of it with life that the crawl only went to two places. It had been advertised to go to six. Good thing it was free.

Tags: belgium, bruges, brussels, england, eurostar, london, st. pancras, train, uk

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Belgium

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.