Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

Exploring Scandinavia

DENMARK | Thursday, 4 September 2014 | Views [497]

In front of Christianborg

In front of Christianborg

I might be getting a little sick. Hopefully it is just some allergy or something in Copenhagen, but I brought Dayquil just in case. Good thing it is a nice day for some relaxed sightseeing. Breakfast was delicious this morning at the hostel. It was a nice set of breads, meats, cheeses, fruits and eggs. Much better than most place could offer for 65 DKK. It was big enough to save a little for lunch. Some of the people from the other night had to check out today, so after saying some goodbyes and exchanging contact information, it was time to see the sights.

Peter and I headed off to see Christiansborg (a large palace) just down the street. Christiansborg is the building that houses all three branches of the government in Denmark. The entire facility was free to enter (where we were allowed) and had a nice tower from which to view the city. After the climb down, Peter and I split our separate ways with plans to meet up later at the hostel. I made my way down one of the canals toward Kastellet. On my way I stopped at Amalienborg which is the Royal Family’s winter home. I had walked by at the perfect time as the guards were changing shifts. Shortly afterward I was at Kastellet. It is an old star shaped fort made of earth walls. It protected the city with a chain of other forts that surrounded all of Copenhagen.  This is the best preserved of them all since it had enough protective canals and earth ramparts to not get burned in the multiple sieges of Copenhagen.  Nowadays it is mostly just a park with a small military garrison. I went back to the hostel for a nap after I was done at Kastellet.

However, the nap did not happen. I was just settling in the common area to respond to a few messages when Peter and Emily (from the night before) came by. Emilie lives in Copenhagen and gave us a great local walk around her part of town. She brought us to a cemetery which was more like a park than a burial ground. People were playing with their pets and sunbathing and all sorts in the cemetery/park. H.C. Anderson is buried in that park. He has a very large monument on his plot.

After the cemetery, we walked around the area a little more and Peter and I spotted a brewery we were told about earlier named Mikkeller. It is a great place with over 40 brews on tap (most made by them), but we nearly missed the entrance. It is a small door down a few steps off the sidewalk with no markings besides a small sign on the door. All three of us purchased a beer and drank it outside in the park across the street.

After Mikkeller we had to hurry to get back to the hostel for gratis dinner (free dinner) at the hostel. We dropped off Emilie and made it just in time to get a seat at the table. After dinner I finally got a little nap. Then around 8:30ish we all met for a drink at happy hour. A few more Aussies and English joined in on the fun we were having. Earlier in the day we saw an advertisement for a DJ we knew playing down the way. Around 11ish we made our way off to see the concert. On the way back, a few people stopped at LA bar again since it was on the way. I was tired and headed on back to bed.

Tags: amalienborg, christiansborg, copenhagen, denmark, kastellet, mikkeller, rust

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Denmark

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.