Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

Croatian Independence Day

CROATIA | Wednesday, 8 October 2014 | Views [626]

Cameron, Nicole and I at a viewpoint in Split

Cameron, Nicole and I at a viewpoint in Split

I had a nasty cough when I woke up this morning. I must have caught whatever Cameron had earlier. In the morning I tried to run down to the pharmacy for some cold medicine. That is how I found out the 8th of October is a national holiday in Croatia (Croatian Independence Day) and everything that is not a café or tourist retail store is closed. I had to suck it up and make some tea back at the hostel. One of the hostel workers was nice enough to dip into the hostel supply of cough drops for me. Unfortunately only one remained so I had to enjoy it.

After Nicole and Cameron woke we went to a café called Mosquito for some coffee. Then we walked along the Riva by the sea. It was a nice day and people were out enjoying their day off. Up on a cliff by a large park was stumbled onto a very nice local pizza hangout. The pizza was some of the best I’ve had. Next we walked down toward the beach and had a drink by the water. It started to get a little chilly as the sun went down, so we went back to change. A few locals had suggested Rakija to us when they saw I was sick on the holiday, so we decided to give it a go. A local place called Ghetto did not live up to its name. The place was really nice with friendly people and a great spot to get a drink before dinner.

Our dinner was at a place called Fife (Pronounced Fi-Fa like the soccer organization). The food was great but came in large portions. Were we to go back again, we would have ordered one meal for the three of us. On our way back to the hostel, we stopped at Charlie’s Bar again. It was much nicer this time as it was less crowded and nobody was smoking inside. Then it was time to head back and sleep.

Tags: charlies bar, croatia, fife, ghetto, holiday, rakija, split, wow

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.