Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

Science!

UNITED KINGDOM | Wednesday, 27 August 2014 | Views [346]

Ion Engine in the space exhibit of the Science Museum

Ion Engine in the space exhibit of the Science Museum

Today I went to the Science Museum. There were a few good exhibits about math, electricity and computers, but I’ll spare most of the details. The most interesting was about James Watt. If you’re not an engineer or British, you may not know what the man did.  No, it was not anything to do with electricity. In fact, he didn’t invent much of anything new. Mostly he improved on other things in existence.  He was a mechanical engineer in the 18th century that improved the steam engine to a point where he accidentally started the industrial revolution. All of the efficiency improvements he made, and measurement ideas (such as horsepower) led him to be pretty famous.  His idea of more efficient mechanical horsepower was so influential that the SI unit of power (Watt) was named after him. Needless to say, it was a few solid hours before I left for some lunch. I at some noodles in the park and wandered around a bit while listening to RadioLab (the Galapagos Episode). Now I’ve got to pack up a bit before people go to sleep at the hostel, so I am ready to go tomorrow morning. If I can get some interest from other travelers, I may try that pub crawl again. It’d be free!

Tags: england, hyde park, london, noodles, science, uk, watt

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.