Existing Member?

Pack Light Walk Slow Calvin: "It's a magical world out there Hobbes, ol' buddy.

Hobbes: "Let's go exploring."

A Real Vacation!

MEXICO | Thursday, 22 June 2006 | Views [1025]

June 2-11, 2006

Here's the latest update on where I've been in the world.  From June 2-11, I was on vacation (yes, an actual vacation with no study, research or work agendas!).  From the 2nd to the 5th I visited family in the LA area, and it was great to see them again (though I spent way too much money), and from the 6th to the 11th, I met up with a long lost Semester at Sea friend and her three friends, and we all went on a reunion cruise on the SAS ship!  It was a different ship than the one we sailed on in 2002, but it's bigger and nicer, and I guess I can give my blessing (though the rooms were insanely small!)  The five of us spent Tuesday in San Diego wandering around Seaford Town, and then, inevitably, we found the local drinking hole(s) and had a grand ol' time reminiscing (gettin' freaky at the tiki!  hehe) 

The next day we took a bus to board the ship in Ensenada, Mexico.  Thursday was spent at sea, and once we got away from the "June Gloom" fog that was close to shore, we finally got a chance to work on the tan and just enjoy stumbling around the ship trying to get our sea-legs back. 

We docked in Cabo San Lucas on Friday for a day of sea-kayaking, snorkeling, and beach combing.  I've never kayaked before, but it was pretty easy and so much fun.  Definitely a sport I could take up at home (well, minus the "sea" part).  There were jellyfish around the snorkel areas, so the trip was still educational in true SAS style: we learned that you pour vinegar on a jellyfish sting.  It doesn't stop the pain, but it keeps it from getting worse.  After the trip, we bargained for a boat to take us to Lover's Beach and the famous natural stone monument, El Arco.  It was so nice to just lie on the beach watching the crashing waves...that is until some idiot decided to go swimming on the dangerous Pacific side of the beach (exactly where all the boat taxi drivers told us NOT to swim).  He got swept out in the rip current and couldn't get back in without getting killed in the waves that were getting stronger as the tide came in.  Finally someone radioed the coast guard and they saved him, and he and his friends sat on the beach in quite a subdued state for a while. 

After the beach, we felt it necessary to sample some of the local brew (i.e.: margaritas and coronas Image)  Don't worry, we were good little boys and girls, and even made it back to the ship early (no dock-time for us!) 

The next day, Saturday, was another at sea day, and they had some special activities for us, SAS style.  Let's hear it for the Sea Olympics!  Kat rocked it out in the whipped cream hide and seek and took the gold in the limbo contest.  Jenn perfected her hip thrusts, and then sucked it up (or more like forgot to) in the suck n' blow race while I got really good at it as the first person in the line.  And Kat morphed into her alter-ego "Capitan Azul!" to pump up the blue team (see rare and amazing pics of Capitan Azul on my website).  In the end, I believe we got second place overall.  Vamos Azul Loco!

That night we got all schmancied up for the Captain's dinner and some dancing.  Then we had to get packed and try to enjoy the last night being rocked to sleep. 

It was so great to see everybody and be on the ship again, though we all spent the next few days trying to get our land-legs back (which is really strange because I didn't have a problem after three months on the ship, but now after just three days the ground kept heaving and I couldn't keep my balance for anything!).  I really hope we can do it again soon everybody, and to those of you I didn't know beforehand, I'm glad to know you now and you better keep in touch!

Have a great week y'all!

Tags: beaches & sunshine, mexico

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Mexico

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.