Existing Member?

NNs Adventures We have traveled over the years but will be retiring in 2017 and want to spend more time traveling the world. We've been to Turkey, Sri Lanka, Africa twice and a number of trips to Europe and St Lucia. Kathleen/Thom Ennen

Day 12 – Didyma, Miletus, Priene (Nov 22)

TURKEY | Sunday, 22 November 2015 | Views [260]

Today was an all day tour to three of the top ancient sites near us.

Didyma was an ancient Greek sanctuary on the coast of Ionia. It contained a temple and oracle of Apollo, the Didymaion. In Greek didyma means "twin", but the Greeks who sought a "twin" at Didyma ignored the Carian origin of the name.

Miletus was an ancient Greek city on the western coast of Anatolia, near the mouth of the Maeander River in ancient Caria. Its ruins are located near the modern village of Balat in Aydın Province, Turkey.

Priene was an ancient Greek city of Ionia at the base of an escarpment of Mycale, about 6 kilometres north of the then course of the Maeander River, 67 kilometres from ancient Anthea.

We drove to the farthest location and then worked our way back to Selcuk. After seeing Didyma we found the nearby Aegean to toe dip. It was chilly but it was also very windy. It was perhaps above 70deg F??? not overly warm but not really cold. At least not numbing cold.

Meletus was somewhat surprising. The view from the road was of the theater. It was only after climbing through the theater did the extent of the town appear. I continued on into the distance to see all the parts. When Meletus was in its heyday, it was on a harbor to the Aegean. Siltation in the valley over the past thousand years or so has moved the coast lie several KM away. There was clear evidence of siltation in the very center of the town. It’s not clear that this shows recent or past flooding. But the value of the town was reduced when it’s lost its connection to the sea.

We spent so much time in Meletus that by the time we got to Priene, it was getting near sunset. We wandered up to the top to see the temple and the view. Amazing view into the valley now silted in. It once was water, and now it’s fertile valley.

Once back we found a great place for dinner based on a recommendation from our neighbors at the hotel. We had a bottle of terrific wine, and some good dinner of lamb chops and the special, with a starter of Turkish ravioli with yogurt sauce that was wonderful!,  while an all Turkey soccer match played. Fun to watch and even more fun to watch the locals in for dinner and a chance to see the match.  

About nn-onthemove


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Turkey

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.