Existing Member?

NNs Adventures We have traveled over the years but will be retiring in 2017 and want to spend more time traveling the world. We've been to Turkey, Sri Lanka, Africa twice and a number of trips to Europe and St Lucia. Kathleen/Thom Ennen

Final Planning, 5 days to go. THINGS DONE

USA | Wednesday, 4 November 2015 | Views [271]

We've booked just about everything!!! Lists are ready. Departure in 5 days, Nov 9. We take the train to PHL for flight to Munich, then to Heathrow, then to Istabul. Thought of posting some of the lists!!!

Instead of TO DOs, here are our DONEs:

  • travel credit cards - no foreign transaction fees, chip enabled mandatory!

  • ATM no fee - schwab refunds ATM fees and no transaction fees. The Schwab Investor Checking account. Best to get cash in country at an ATM at the airport or a bank; not in a convenience store. Take some US dollars but don't expect to use it too often as the conversion rates will not be favorable. The best rate will be the bank rate and that will be reflected at the ATM window. We've followed this approach since 2004 in the UK, Sri Lanka, Senegal and France as well as in 2012 in Tanzania and Zanzibar, Europe, and frequently in our several trip to St Lucia. Ensure your ATM/debit card hasn't expired! 2017 update - in order to get a back up ATM card in the event the primary is lost or stolen, based on blogs I read this happens!, open a second Invester Checking account at Schwab for emergencies only. Fund with something to be useful if needed. Use the online access to transfer funds from other accounts into the emergency fund while you wait for the replacement ATM card for the primary account. Keep it separately from other cards.

  • Notify your banks and credit cards providers of your itinerary to prevent fraud halts when you purchase overseas. This can be done online for a number of banks or call the 800 number on the back of the cards. Provide dates and countries you're visiting.
  • go thru your wallet for departure - take health care card and only cards/ATM cards you’re taking. leave everything else home. photo copy all cards, and the reverse side and carry separately from your wallet and passport

  • photocopy passport and carry separately; post a copy to the cloud/dropbox, or email to yourself to use if needed.

  • money belt for cash and cards you don’t need on any given day.

  • No need to take currency - best rate obtained at ATM when you get there. Get a denomination of $10 not $100 if you can, like $290 of the currency to start with some smaller bills in hand. Especially if you’ll be taking a taxi to minimize the possibility the cab driver sees you as a tourist and doesn’t want to make change.

  • Register with state.gov to get notices

  • check with health care provider forr travel vaccinations - Kaiser has a travel nurse you can arrange an appt with - 6 weeks in advance

  • check visa status - turkey and others have evisas - need before arriving. visas generaly not needed in transit airports, but check, unless you leave secure area. (https://www.evisa.gov.tr/en/)

  • VPN for added security to devices 

  • travel adapters - nearly everything electronic needs adapter not 120-220 converter (blocky/heavy). A multi USB charger is useful - 40-50W http://www.amazon.com/Desktop-Charger-TechMatte-Travel-Adapter/dp/B00NA9JQLM/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1446637420&sr=8-3&keywords=usb+5+port+charger

  • Trip insurance - I picked one that had good coverage if electronics stolen (camera, laptop, tablet, phone) and provided insurance for car rental - US credit cards will not cover CDW for international rental (9-14+/- per day) (http://www.worldnomads.com/)

  • turn phones to airplane and only use wifi with something like WhatsApp, FaceTime or Free tone - get a US phone number and all calls, to from and texts are free. Charges for international calls - need to use 800 numbers if calling numbers in your country of interest. (or get credits for the few local calls you may need to make)

  • to deter anyone interested in getting into your bag/backpack, especially when on a train, or in a waiting area, and you might want to take a nap, link the zipper pulls with key ring circles or paper clips (which can come unbent) and make sure a strap is around your leg or a seat/table leg so it can’t be lifted away. The clips will deter someone from trying to gain access as it will take time and it will be easier for them to move to another potential victim. (from Rick Steve’s blog - very helpful stuff there)

  • Enlist friends or neighbors to check on the house, water the plants, bring in the newpapers and the mail. Put a light on a timer for a few hours each night if you want your house looking more lived in. Also set an alarm for a radio to come on, it should stay on for 30-60 minutes. If you don't need anyone to check on the house, put a vacation hold on the papers and mail. (https://holdmail.usps.com/holdmail/)

  • On departure, if you're going to be away a while, turn down the temp on the water heater, turn off the ice maker in the frig, turn off the supply lines to the washer, turn off/unplug as many electricity "vampires" as you can, turn the AC up or the heat down on the thermostats.

Tags: packing, trip planning

About nn-onthemove


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.