Existing Member?

Mat and Vendy's travels

Javier and other places....

SPAIN | Saturday, 24 March 2007 | Views [662]

Another famous place for pilgrims in Navarra, Javier castle. They walk the 50-70km (depending where they start) over night to arrive in the morning for the religious services in the morning. You would think that this castle was in a town but it appears to be in the middle of nowhere.

Named after Saint Javier, who went to spread the word in Japan and the far east, it is a very well-kept castle and has a museum inside.

Due to the amount of interest in the castle at this time of year, Sonia took us to see the castle and then on a tour of the surrounding area.

After visiting Javier we went on to a reservoir which was formed by flooding a town, and when the water level is low you can see the ruins of the buildings. On the top of the hill are a few remaining houses but hardly a village now.

From here we went to Roncal, in the Roncal valley, where they make a very famous cheese (in Navarra and the Basque country) from sheep's milk. It is a nice little village and here we stopped for a lovely 'menu del dia' (recommended in any spanish town!) for value and (normally) for taste!

The last stop and for me the most memorable was a gorge called 'Foz de Arbayun' which can only be described as breathtaking, standing on a small platform overlooking the river and the rocky walls. Unfortunately the photos cannot do it justice.

 

Tags: breathtaking, foz de arbayun, gorge, javier, navarra, pilgrims

About matsmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.