Existing Member?

Mat and Vendy's travels

Three kings parade Pamplona

SPAIN | Friday, 5 January 2007 | Views [642]

Three kings is the special day when the children in spain traditionally get their christmas presents though they are now (in some families) shared with Father Christmas too. Celebrated on 6th January, on the night of the 5th Jan are parades all over spain where the three kings come to town and people gather to cheer the kings coming to town - and in return the kings throw sweets to everyone.

Gerard had been to see this in Barcelona and reliably informed us to take carrier bags to fill with sweets! It was cold, but we were waiting with great expectations - like the kids in the crowd, with our bags, for the sweets!

Unfortunately for us,  either the kings in pamplona aren't so generous, or people in our section weren't cheering loud enough because our bags stayed empty an in 2 hours we collected between us a measly 8 sweets - and Gerard had 5 of those! I got 2 and Vendy got 1! We may have been able to collect more if we had been willing to trample children and other adults crawling on the floor, but for a few boiled sweets we decided not to waste the energy on such a cold night!

However, the celebrations were a lot of fun and the floats were beautifully decorated wth lots of music and dancers. a good night out, but maybe more fun for the children (or the very young at heart!)  

About matsmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Spain

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.