Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

Might as well Resort to Hoi An

VIETNAM | Friday, 24 August 2012 | Views [471]

Loving the resort life, it is absolutely ruining me to the backpacker and hostel style of travel! The pool is miles long and the beach is lush, the very end of what was known as China Beach. Beautiful weather and an awesome old town nearby with a multitude of shops and things for filling out dad’s suitcases!

 

Soon after our arrival we ate in the restaurant, which was succeeded by a swim in the sea, a first since Italy for me, so I was well happy. The guide came back and took us into the old town that evening, and we wandered around spending money here and there. Dad found a great tailor where he ordered a dozen shirts to be made, while I bargained for goods, getting a dress for four dollars and teeny tiny pants for Alia at 2dollars each.

 

As we enjoyed a delicious meal on a balcony looking over the river, we were forced to listen to loud annoying music from a tent where a festival celebrating Vietnam and Japans relations was going on across the river. We also had a great view of lightning storm in the distance, but didn’t linger, instead kept wandering until after 8 when we caught a shuttle back to the resort.

 

The following day we were collected in the morning to wander the old town a bit more, visiting the oldest house and a silk embroidery handicraft shop. Back to the resort, I was eager to try out something adventurous, and decided on parasailing. With no instruction and unanswered queries I was lifted into the air, strapped in and dangling uncomfortably from the harness for fifteen minutes. They drove up and down the coast with me loosing feeling in my legs and yelling at the driver. Seems funny now, it wasn’t at the time.

 

To compensate for the traumatic failure of the parasailing incident I went to have a spa treatment, a scrub and massage for 100 minutes. Perfect. Feeling sleepy and relaxed, I returned to the room to be hassled by Dad, so ended up feeling angry and exhausted by the day’s emotions. We took a shuttle to town to eat at a famous restaurant ‘Streets’ that takes street kids and trains them in hospitality and silver service. The food was very good.

 

Rain prevented us spending a few more hours spending more money in the shops of the old town, so we grabbed a cab back to the resort to get an early night. It was restless for me, and this morning my neck and back is aching. We have a day of transit to get through. I have taken my Herbal Becalm pills, so fingers crossed I survive the day. We will end up in Saigon, with a few days of touristy activities ahead.

 
 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.