Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

Hue more south than before

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 21 August 2012 | Views [533]

After our final night in Hanoi, we went to the airport to fly to Hue. There we were met by a bubbly guide and silent driver, who took us to eat a quick ham and formaggio baguette, before trudging around the site of the old imperial city in the hellish heat. We then relaxed in the regal hotel, the Morin, built in 1901, very beautiful and French colonial. The room was vast and comfortable, with a cool garden restaurant and pool to relax by.

 

Hue lifestyle seems a lot more chilled out, with less people and bigger streets than the chaotic mazes of lanes in the old quarter of Hanoi. We wandered the night market full of Chinese plastic crap, and ate at a recommended restaurant before an early night. Being woken before 7am takes its toll on me, and traveling with Dad, who usually rises around 4am, is definitely challenging.

 

A bright blue morning took us to Perfume River for a loud boat trip to a pagoda, where photos were taken before sweatily getting into the air-conditioned car and driven to a tomb site. The mausoleum was quite like many temple grounds you see in Asia. As was the next one we visited. I enjoyed the beauty of lotus ponds, and spotting butterflies and geckos around the place. My favourite part of tripping around each of these touristy places is admiring the glazed pottery used in roof tiles, and the mosaic in and around each place depicting pictures of dragons and Chinese symbols of longevity.

 

After the exhaustingly hot stops here and there we opted to go back to the hotel to relax a bit. Instead we ended up having a quick swim in the pool and hopping out to take a bike-tuk ride to the big Dong Ba Markets across the bridge. Here, we were hounded by the shop-owners, to the point of complete frazzeldness! I got ripped off! My calculations between Vietnamese Dong to USD to NZD was way off and we spent quite a bit on presents for family and bits and pieces of general stuff. No worries, we headed back to the hotel to find a Trip Advisor recommendation for dinner.

 

Off down the street, not far from our hotel but down a few small alleys, we hit on Nina’s café, number 3 on TA. A family run restaurant, with smiley people serving the food and drinks, in a shack-like outdoor setting of red plastic chairs and things hanging everywhere, we ate a delicious meal mostly recommended to us by the waitress. Music was old school and we enjoyed the atmosphere and dinner so much, we dragged ourselves back to the hotel for another early eve.

 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.