Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

festive feelings far from home

CHINA | Tuesday, 8 November 2011 | Views [709]

I can’t imagine it is ever very nice getting soaked wet trying to find your bed for the night. I have a sweet little room in a central hostel in shanghai, it would be perfect if it had access to wifi, as advertised. So I ponder all the things I wanted to do, wish I had written them down instead of saved in my email or on my itouch map. I hope tomorrow the weather is a bit more cheery, as I feel my spirit needs some sunshine. I think it’s my tendency to look at old videos or photos when I’m miserable that makes the situation worse. But chin up and ready for action, as that is what a weekend in Shanghai is really all about. Cripes I should stop putting this dreaded exam so far to the recesses of my thinking space! In reality it’s hours away and I am completely unprepared. Let’s hope my luck sees me through the day, the anniversary of my birth and of 25 years in this plentiful world.

On reflection of my stag Saturday night out on the town; Logo bar changed, location and popularity, empty, perhaps I was out too early, it was 10.30pm. Whiskey and move onto Shelter, a UK up and coming dj playing there, empty. People start arriving but not before I made my friends for the night, French, Brazilian and Taiwanese/Kiwi. Awesome. I was drunk and dancing lots, really appreciating the value of mind vibrating bass. Healing for my soul. I end up in a flash car driving who knows where at 3am for some Korean food. Back to the club for a last dance, emptier and no sign of the guys, perhaps our paths will cross again, I hope so they were super nice to the loner. Bed and sleep in.

Today I suffered, hung-over and miserable, wandered Nanjing road, famous shopping strip in china. Burger King healed me so then went to TaiKang road: old laneways of shops and restaurants. It was nice, packed but cool to see James again in Nuzi, and buy some bits and bobs. Caught up with Steph for an amazingly good Greek salad and olives and nz pinot. I met Steph in LiJiang  a year ago so it was great to reestablish a connection. Will definitely be back here soon, too much fun times and friendlies to party with. I think I will always regret not living in Shanghai, as every time I come here, I leave saying I would love to live in the London New York of Asia!!

So now I’m 25. Today was pretty terrible, early rising and stressing about the exam. Getting to the venue was a trial, typical difficult to find building far away. I wrote around 500words for each of the 4 essays, all really averagely done, but no surprises there. The funny thing was that my one trusty nz pen and two cheap Chinese ones I brought that morning all ran out of ink or broke before the exam started, luckily some other guy lent me a decent pen. The whole three hours I was sniveling, I'm afraid that the contrast in temperature here has given me a cold. Today couldn’t get any worse really. I wandered the old touristy streets, disappointed in the drizzle and annoying crowds, then through the maze of shopping malls on my way back to the hostel. Feeling like my nose is constantly leaking I decide to spend a lonely evening in my room as opposed to going out to eat on my own. Save the fun for Thursday back in Dalian where my amazing friends will help me smother this cold in alcohol. Thankfully I got a few seconds online and saw loads of comments on my facebook page from friends and family, all around the world I am lucky to have met and known and loved so many wonderful people. How lucky am I? Recently a good friend of mine had a really bad night, and I heard myself saying how the best thing to drive away depressive thinking is to think of those loving friends you know you have in your heart. Kind of like when I was little and would have a nightmare and I will always remember mum telling me to imagine I was at the beach. Today in my heart I was at the beach. No loneliness will get me down because I'm lucky to know I'm loved and I have the best paradise waiting for me when I do return to beautiful Aotearoa.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.