Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

If you love markets..

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 13 June 2011 | Views [349]

London summer is really putting on a show. Dull gloomy rain all day yesterday, I still managed to wander through some of the coolest areas to be at on a Sunday! Spitalfields Old market, all under cover and teeming with people, then on to Brick Lane market places. I spent hours looking through about four different markets off little laneways, down stairs and through warehouses, the Backyard market, the Sunday Up market, a Pop-Up Vintage market, another called the Tea Rooms; antique and vintage markets. The shops lining the cobbled lanes varied from high fashion designers to massive vintage op-shops with Graf art lining old brick doorways. Various stalls had set up sounds, ranging from classic vinyl sellers to reggae and soul cds and tee shirts, music blaring and sellers grooving, the atmosphere was on fire. The aromas of curry and food bubbling, steaming, melting and mixing in nostrils, my stomach was grumbling in anticipation, as I wandered, staring and drooling slightly at the huge array of choices for food on Brick lane. I found three areas, not including the stalls braving the rain in the streets, where giant pots of curry was stirred, or piles of empanadas sat, sandwiches and omelets offered, cupcakes and sweets smiled, food for one and all from everywhere and right there. At each market visited there were seated people eating their hearts out, at tables or along the roadside, in groups or solo as they wandered around, some outside but many inside, absolutely stellar place for a party or picnic. Highlights from my week include babysitting Milla, my 3 month old niece who when she feels like it can be the cutest wee bundle or smiles. She was so well behaved for me for a whole 3 hours! Excellent accomplishment I think! I spent a few days around the flat to get some quality time in with just the girls before the oncoming wedding and travel envelopes them, and with the weather grey and miserable, it was lovely spending a bit more time getting to know the newest additions to the whanau. I found Camden town markets on Thursday which was great, such a maze of little stores and stalls, again including the food aspect along with crafts and cheap hats and shoes, loved it, but hurried through so may have to return there today. On Friday I found the Borough markets, famous for its delicatessen foods, right by Southwark Cathedral. Cheese stalls, salami stalls, tables piled high with pastry and sweets, Turkish, Mediterranean, Indian and Argentinean, meaty or veggo, the selection is top quality. I met Samantha there and we had the best Haloumi sandwich in existence. I wandered around the Tate Modern art gallery afterwards, but hurried home, as that evening was Marilu’s second hens night. It was at a spa in Covent Garden, the Sanctuary. After soaking in hot tubs and massaged to bliss, feeling very clean and wrinkled, I stayed in for a quiet night. I returned to Covent Garden on Saturday which was fun, ate the best burrito ever at Bonitos Hat, lining the walking roads were lots of hilarious street performers and crowds of people enjoying the rarity of the sunny day. The shops around that area are great and so many sales I could have spent a fortune. On Saturday night I met up with Ash and Kate, friends from Queenstown, and we went on a boat party along the Thames. I had already walked most of the boardwalk so was familiar with the sights until Tower Bridge, but add in a festive atmosphere of drinking and loud music and well, it was fun all right. Home early, very responsible really, my funds exceeding their limits due to excessive spending on alcohol and food mostly.

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.