Existing Member?

life's adventures This is the story of my wanderings through Asia

Daily Dali life

CHINA | Wednesday, 29 September 2010 | Views [419]

I'm so well satisfied after an amazing bbq. The Hump managers put on every Wednesday and Saturday a communal bbq, 35 kuai for a beer/glass of punch, and all you can eat in the courtyard of the hostel. The meats; all marinated in different styles, then spit roasted and barbequed to perfection. After the first few plates, live music from visitors and locals challenges people to hush their vigorous meal banter.

So I spent my day relaxing in the sun and walking along the city wall, chatting to Leah, from Israel; and Felix, from Germany, who are stuck in Dali (keep checking out of the hostel but staying another night because of the magnetic goodness of this place), and awaiting the arrival of Josh, who has been on some scary and amazing adventures to get here.

All I’d heard from him was that he was stuck 100kms out of Luang Prabang, on the bus, at a huge landslide in Lao countryside. I then found out, when he finally arrived in Kunming at 10pm last night, that at the border crossing a guy on the bus he’d been on got angry for the delays with stamps and validity of his new passport from NZ, had gotten pushy and punches were thrown, and the border guards intervened with guns pointed, assuming Josh had started a fight, so then searched his bags and person, and the trip, in total, took 52 hours of cramped and agonizing bus journey.

On arrival this evening he was bubbling with the stories he can now tell with enthusiastic disbelief; that they’d actually happened, as a first time traveler on mad visa mission to come meet me for a few relaxing weeks in China.

We drank cold beers and ate an average of four plates packed with fresh meat and veggies, wraps, lotus root, deep fried eggplant and spicy tofu, all enjoyed in good company of course. It was wonderful the way all the people I have been spending the last few days with welcomed him so warmly and happily.

The evenings invoke a chill and maybe a few lazy raindrops, but Brian’s country music and the scattered groups of people with heads together in collaborative conversations ensure the most pure energy enforced atmosphere that all hostels should seek, and all travelers be lucky to come across.

 

 

Travel Answers about China

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.