Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Virginia is for Lovers—and Voters

USA | Friday, 11 October 2024 | Views [22]

Connie, Roz and Steve on Stonebridge over Bull Run

Connie, Roz and Steve on Stonebridge over Bull Run

WE HAD AN ULTERIOR MOTIVE FOR STOPPING in Virginia. Of course we wanted to see old friends Steve and Roz but we had also arranged to have our South Dakota absentee ballots forwarded to them in Fairfax. This year especially, voting—forgive the expression—trumps renewing friendships.

n

               Stone House, Manassas National Battlefield 

n

             Civil War Canon, Manassas National Battlefield

The obligatory exchange of health details takes longer with each visit—more ailments and more doctors—but keeping in touch by email and social media has shortened the strolls down Memory Lane. After some “what ever happened to so-and-sos” we spent most of the at-home time reviewing Steve’s obsession with pin-hole camera photography and old-timey developing techniques. Then his interest in Civil War battles took us to the Manassas National Battlefield Park, site of the first major battle of the War. Despite its history, there isn’t much left to see, just Stone Bridge, a few buildings and some scattered artillery pieces but it’s a great place to walk, and walk and walk—about nine miles for the day.

n

     Old Town Alexandria

n

                  A slice of Americana, Old Town Alexandria

n

               Winchester VA, the most contested town in the Civil War

n

           Johnny Reb and Civil War Museum, Winchester 

nn

           Patsy Cline's home, Winchester VA (I Fall to Pieces)

Keeping in mind Ben Franklin’s comments about guests and fish, we checked into the Best Western in Alexandria and explored the centuries old architecture, brick-lined streets and cobblestone alleys of Old Town on our own. On Friday we drove to the Shenandoah Valley, hoping—in vain—to see some fall colors. We visited Winchester VA for a walk around the 45-block National Register Historic District. Winchester, at the convergence of nine roads and turnpikes plus a railroad, was the most contested town in the Civil War. Perhaps more relevant, Winchester was the home of singer, Patsy Cline.

 

Add your comments

(If you have a travel question, get your Answers here)

In order to avoid spam on these blogs, please enter the code you see in the image. Comments identified as spam will be deleted.


About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about USA

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.