Existing Member?

VagabondsUSA "TRAVEL IS FATAL TO PREJUDICE, BIGOTRY AND NARROW MINDEDNESS." MARK TWAIN

Forest Owlet Is No Longer Extinct

INDIA | Monday, 30 January 2023 | Views [106]

Forest Owlet, Tansa Forest

Forest Owlet, Tansa Forest

THE “FOREST OWLET EXTENSION” was a logistic nightmare requiring three-hour drives each way from our plush hotel outside Mumbai to the Tansa Forest area where we picked up a local guide. Connie, Richard and I were actually outnumbered by guides if you count Guy, a former guide himself with perhaps more knowledge of ornithology than the others combined.

nn

               Connie joins the 6000 Club

Until a decade ago the Forest Owlet was believed to be extinct; now about 45 of them live in the Tansa Forest. An estimated 400 more Owlets live in scattered groups in the area waiting with non-refundable tickets for the Extinction Express. With the expertise of the local guide and Rob’s keen eyes, we spotted the first owlet after walking only a few hundred meters. We spent the next two days trying for a better look! Coincidentally, the Forest Owlet was Connie’s 6000th species. Don’t hold your breath for #7000!

nn

                    White-naped Tit

m

                        Indian Roller

On the final day of the trip we futzed around birding some other areas in Tansa and of course we got stuck in Mumbai’s horrible traffic on the way to the airport. Our flight wasn’t scheduled until nearly midnight but we were all worried Bablu would miss his and be late for his tiger-guiding gig. The tour operator had arranged “day rooms” for us at the incredible Taj Hotel but with the traffic we barely had time for a shower before heading to the airport.

 

About graynomadsusa

The Vagabonds at Cobh, Ireland

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about India

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.