Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

I only did that once!

CANADA | Monday, 8 May 2006 | Views [938] | Comments [5]

Howdy all,

This is gonna be a short one. Ok. My play is on tomorrow and Tuesday so I have been very busy with that. The costume lady dropped out at the last minute and so now I am the costume lady. I have been cutting and sewing and putting all of the costumes together. It is quite fun except a lot of the last minute.

School was also busy this week. The school had a Professional YoYo man come in to do YoYo tricks. He was mega lame. His tricks weren’t very good and he kept making mistakes. And then he did a whole thing about how the YoYos were for sale. It kind of reminded me about how the YoYo people were on the Simpsons. Except they were much better and more of the kids on the Simpsons had YoYos.

We also had an excursion to a museum to learn about Ancient Egypt. That was cool except that the ladies who ran it were Nazis. They told you what to look at and when to look at it. I guess that is the way to control every one.

There was also the Spring musical on this week. On Thursday night we had to stay back and watch the play and on Friday it was grandparents day. This is when grandparents come to the class to see there grandkids. Then they watch the spring musical again. We were swarmed. A good portion of the grandparents were Dutch and so I heard many many many Dutch accents. It was awesome.

Jane Ann is studying Ancient Egypt with her class. So, one of the activities she is doing with her class is making a mummy out of a chicken. She got one of her students to bring in a chicken from his granddads chicken farm. It still had its head and its guts on it and everything. (which is what we wanted). We opened the chicken up to take out the guts. It was pretty gross. But it was pretty awesome.

And Jane Ans class is doing assembly next week. They are doing a medieval thing and need swords and shields and that. They have all been bringing this stuff from home. One kid had a whole gown and hood and sword and everything. I asked him what he used it for. He said chasing his brothers around. I said I could see him wearing it all on Saturday mornings watching tv. He looked at me and said “I only did that once”. Classic.

Tags: Scams & Robberies

Comments

1

LOL! That was a fantastic post Sue! Costumes, yo yos, Nazis and chicken guts. What more could you want? GO the costume lady. That is way cool Sue. In one single day, I want you to reinterpret the directors vision so that it incorporates cyber-punk, corporate power suits and tapestry. It also compulsory for you to stand back stage with needle and thread, and sew the actors into their clothing seconds before they go on stage. Just work with pins in your mouth and you'll be fine.

I thought the Nazis were pushed out of Egypt in 1942, but my history knowledge was never that good.

Where do chicken mummies go? They wouldn't last long in the place with those cat gods. You could make a movie- "The Mummy Returns- Hen Pecked" It would actually make sense, seeing as the second one was a turkey. GEDDIT! GEDDIT!

Everyone who writes has to give costume tips and ideas to Sue, and tell her about the BEST costume you have ever worn EVER, to help her out in her hour of need. One cool costume I wore on 'T' day at school was a full-body purple Teletubbies costume.

  Simon J May 9, 2006 12:17 AM

2

Susan! Hello sweetie!

Hope you trip is going well, and that you break a leg with your play (thats good, right?)

I am staying at Mum and Dads cause they have tootled off, holidaying down south for a bit. You are invited to visit if you like.

Whilst being in a creative process, like costume making, always remember to bring in the influences around you. Reading your journal, it would seem you have a rich culture of Egyptian Nazi's, Dutch grandparents, Professional Lame Yo Yo-ists and children conducting medieval rituals with swords and chickens. Let all these inspirational juices flow around you, stew for a bit, bring to the simmer, then leave in the fridge overnight where it will congeal, forming an artistic gelatine.


Has anyone told you about the two miners stuck under ground in Australia. There was a collapse in a shaft and, unfortunately, one miner was killed. The rescue operation managed to detect two other miners still alive in a cavity. They are going for their 14th night, they get tunneled food and drink (the news is taking delight in reporting'Oh, tonight they asked for chicken sandwiches") and they have been given Ipods. One guy asked for Foo Fighters to listen to, somehow Dave Grohl from the band found out and sent them a message to meet him for a beer when they get out.

The best costume I wore was B.A. Barracas (Mr T from the A-Team) I had my hair spiked up in the middle, metal necklaces and boots. I looked nothing like him.

Love, Tim

  Tim J May 9, 2006 12:56 AM

3

Hey Hey,

That is an awesome post Sue. Yo-yos are boring, especially when someone has one and makes you watch the same 'tricks' they can't do over and over until they get it right. How does Jane Ann know how to embalm stuff? I hope it works. Doesn't it talk a long time for things to mummify? Oh idunno.

Good luck with your play, you will be great.

I have been looking at what is happening in Canada when I am going to be there (cos that is all that matters after all)
And the Montreal Comedy Festival is on at that time, there are different Galas you can go to on different days and it would be so fun. Have a look on the internet and see whats on when we are plannning to go to Montreal and Quebec...

... damn people, I am just going to throw my phone out the window and be done with it, why do they keep on ringing?... why?... don't they know I don't want to talk to them?

Anyway...where was I, yeah Sue let me know, I will by tix through the wonderous medium of 'in-ter-net' if you wanna go.

I have worn oh so many costumes but my favourite one was my bumble bee costume I had when I was 5, I wore it as often as I could, sometimes daily, until I grew out of it.

The miners are free now!!!!

  Helga May 9, 2006 3:30 PM

4

When the miners were freed and put into the back of an ambulance they were allowed one person with them. They chose David Kosch.
My favourite costume was my Zoidberg thing I made and a giant rainbow serpent me and my fellow 'special' art people made in year eight. We walked around Kalamunda during the Zig Zag festival with it... no one came to see.

  Ebony May 10, 2006 1:03 AM

5

Hi Sue, I bet you'd given up expecting another message from me, but as Tim said, we have been away on holiday for a few days and I couldn't wait to see what the journal had to say (we've really missed it over the past couple of weeks!). So here I am trying to think about my 'favourite' costume. My memory isn't too good these days, but many, many years ago when I was just a junior at Girls Brigade (in the UK), I was chosen to be Queen Bodacea (probably wrong spelling but never mind). I had to stand there with this elaborate outfit on and what I would describe as a 'fireman's helmet' round the wrong way or something like that. I was so embarrassed and when I heard some kids in the audience sniggering at me I took off the wretched helmet and ran out the door in tears.Obviously I was never asked to take part in another drama. Phew!!!!

  Maureen James May 19, 2006 3:27 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.