Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

Lesley and Dan's journal entry

UNITED KINGDOM | Sunday, 5 August 2007 | Views [2946] | Comments [11]

Well, we chose to visit Britain during its wettest summer on record!  The south of England has flooded twice, and the Thames River has burst its banks in Oxford.  We were in Paris when that happened, and fortunately had only one day of rain when we were there.  That was the day that Susan and Dan decided to go to Euro-Disney!  As I write this, the rain is bucketing down.  This weather is a major contrast with my last sojourn to Britain in the summer of 1976, when there was a record drought, with fairly constant temperatures of about 35 degrees, and all the grass was the colour of straw.

We have had no major disasters, and I hope it continues that way, since we fly back to Australia tomorrow (Sunday 29th).  I left the mobile phone I bought in Edinburg on the Sandown Bay bus here in the Isle of Wight, and although I reported it within 20 minutes, it was never found.  Also, we lost all our photos of Paris due to a faulty memory card in the camera.  I am definitely not a fan of high technology.

These have been the highlights of our trip for me:

Shanklin.  We are about 10 metres from the beach.  There is a great British holiday atmosphere here on the Esplanade (despite the weather).  It is very relaxed. Everything is close and the scenery is very pretty.

-         The Isle of Wight as a whole is at least as pretty as anywhere else we visited in Britain/Ireland.

-         Hong Kong.  We stayed 3 nights there on our way to Britain.  Very noisy, busy and safe.  Everyone is occupied and has a good standard of living thanks to government policies.  The harbour lights looked like fairyland when we landed at night.

-         Visit to Littlehampton (where I was born).  I was able to meet up with some of my relatives and my mother’s best friend’s daughter and her family.  I also retraced my steps in Littlehampton and Wick (the suburb where I lived) and took photos of everything.  Some areas are a bit run-down and overgrown with weeds, and the central shopping area appears smaller.  The alleyways around the back of our old house were black gravel when I was growing up; in 1976 they had been bitumenised over; now they are pale grey rubble.  We had a lovely welcome at the comfortable and cosy Victoria Hotel in New Road where we stayed.

-         Boat trip around the Thames in London.  Although London is greatly over-rated and quite ugly, as monstrosities of buildings have been allowed to be built next to historical ones, the boat trip was good because of all the historical scenery and the commentary by the cockney guide.

-         Edinburg is an attractive and friendly city with unspoilt Georgian (I think) architecture, and a magnificent view from the hill.  It was COLD!

-         The Welsh Countryside.  We did not spend long in Wales, but I would like to go there again.  The Welsh accent is my favourite.

-         Paris is very pretty and well-organised, but you have to be young and fit to live there, which most Parisians seem to be, probably from all the steps they have to climb up and down in the Metro stations.  They also like you to speak French, which also gives you mental exercise.

-         Places I could live:  Shanklin, Edinburg (with central heating), Belfast, Cherbourg.          

A couple of comments:  Nearly everywhere in Britain the homes are within walking distance of shops and community areas, reducing the need for cars.  There are very few large shopping centres as we know them in Perth.  In Perth we are spoilt for shopping.  However, shops here are often open until late in the evening.  Unfortunately, I must also say that I felt safer walking out at night everywhere we visited than I would walking down Stafford Road, Kenwick at night.  Now it is Dan’s turn to comment:

Hi every body there might be a few speeling mistakes that’s because its midnight  I am sopostto tell yall aboot disnepworldland now I start with a statement it was bliss I went on thr33 rollercoasters and there did backflips and loop d loops and they were soooo fast but all the picures gfot deleated so,me how and they had a parade it was awesome.

OK!!  Well that seems to be it from us for now.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Ok, first to post!

This is it. There is a prize for the best caption/ speech bubble comments for the photo of Susan and Daniel at the top of this journal entry.

Go to it. Wit!

I shall return with more news. Later

Tim

  Tim Aug 6, 2007 7:51 PM

2

The moment Dan went to kiss the magical dodgem fairy, she disappeared.

  Simon James Aug 6, 2007 8:23 PM

3

OK Dan, we jumped the fence on these Dodgems, now where do we drive em?

  Tim Aug 10, 2007 8:55 PM

4

"Daniel do a pose... oh that was a stupid one!"
There are 48 people who have seen this. it is a good idea to do captions. You should all do it. NOW!

  Susan Aug 13, 2007 3:53 AM

5

Yo, Crepe Susette. Here is my annual, and highly anticipated, Lego Robotics RoboLab Competition review. I can tell you have been beating your head against the wall in anticipation.
WELL, prior to the event, things had gone remarkably smoothly, with my humble Year 8 Robotics class ticking along, and generally doing quite complicated things and being very excited about it- despite the lack of 'Robot Wars' in class, in which dangerous looking robots would be launched at each other in the hope that they will break each other to bits. Never mind, you can always do it when Mr James is not looking.
We had spent a term getting our robots ready for the dance competition, and I was feeling generally quite confident. The three pairs had brainstormed songs and come up with some pearlers that I would not have dreamed up in a million years. One group decided to have the Oompa Loompa song from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, and have a group of choreographed Oompa Loompa robots- hey, the dance moves had already been worked out. Another group decided on 'Kung-fu Fighting', and would have a kung-fu robot, with spinning legs and nun-chuks. HOWEVER, trouble at the old mill erupted when the third group miserably stated that THEY were going to do 'Kung Fu Fighting', and the other group had STOLEN their idea. Restraining myself from smashing their skulls together, I suggested that they could merge, and have two COMPETING ninja robots- a ye old dance street ninja battle. Slightly miffed but satisfied, they set about designing a robot that could possibly cut another robot in half.
You read and no have idea what goes on? I fill in. Once a year, NERDS from all over the state descend upon Scitech for the RoboCup, armed with self-created robots, ready to compete against others to increase geek ratings. There is the dance comp, where robots 'dance', move, fall over, break or completely freeze up (see last years journal entry)to a two minute song. There is the rescue mission, in which robots race to get through a maze. There is Robo soccer, in which two robots play soccer against two others. Most of the robots are built using Lego RoboLab, which is basically Lego with motors and a brain. (If you are hunting ultra nerd species, head towards soccer. Those guys spend a little to much time building their own robots out of metal components, and not enough time interacting with human beings. And observing current fashion and hairstyles.)
Anyhoo, back to the main event. Getting to Scitech, we established which quarter of the table was ours, dumped stuff, and then went and played on the toys.
After fifteen minutes, we discovered that it was our first pair's time to go on. They had the Oompa Loompa's, one main one, who spun around and head bobbed up and down, and two 'back-up' dancers, who did simultaneous moves. They were decorated with orange foam ball heads, and green hair. However, minutes before show time, the boys announced their main robot had come apart, and they had forgotten how it went back together. They would have to go on with just their back-up dancers. They performed admirably under pressure, but it was obvious why these dancers had been cast in the back-up line- no pizazz. Luckily, the song only went for 52 seconds.
Our other dance pair were not on till after lunch. After much kerfuffle, they who had originally STOLEN Kung-Fu fighting decided they didn't want it any more, and chose... 'You Can't Touch This', by MC Hammer. I did have to appreciate the song choice, despite it making no sense. The smile slipped off my face when they clarified- the Crazy Frog version. AAAAAA AAAAA AAAAAA AAAAAAAA AAAAAAA HHHHHHHHHHH. After the epileptic fit had subsided, I informed the boys that I couldn't allow any frogs of the crazy variety- it was a moral thing.
A POINT- what is with all the old songs? Shouldn't the kids (who generally have cultural history as deep as a glass of water) be choosing whatever is on the radio this minute? One boy later suggested 'Umbrella, ella, ella' by Rhianna, which would have pleased all the dogs who can hear pitches beyond human hearing. Also, I immediately envisioned a robot covered in twirling cocktail umbrellas, which would be kinda cool. What about an emo robot, with black and red stripes and a black shard fringe? Kids.
I had contemplated this as I downloaded these songs off iTunes. I was a little concerned that I could actually find all of these songs on iTunes.
So, the boys robot danced to the original MC Hammers 'You Can't...'. They decided it was only appropriate to wear black jackets and baseball caps, stand in the corner, arms crossed, head nodding in time with the beat like badass mofos. They actually got quite good scores and comments from the judges about costume and dancing. Their robot consisted of spinning on four wheels, and a foam ball head with scary eyes and mouth that spun like a top.
Leaving the third group, who had long since pulled from the race. Sticking with 'KungFu Fighting' in class, they had become stuck and unsure what to do. When I got to them, the robot had completely 'fallen apart'. (Word on the street was that that was due to one of the group deliberately breaking it apart so they didn't have to complete).
So, that was that. We recently got results sent to us, and we scored about 62/66%, which comparably is pretty good. I think next year, I shall get them cracking onto it straight away, only give them 'Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy' (maybe Crazy Frog version)and have a troupe of robot ballet dancers in pink tutus, pirouetting across the classroom. Till next time...

  Simon James Aug 20, 2007 1:25 AM

6

Ok. I have to say what an excellent entry Simon. I feel inclined to crack open a packet of old microchips? and build my own dancing robot. My song would be Sexy Back and the robot would be scantily clad. I am in morrocco. The girl who I am supposed to have gone with had a death in the family so she will join me after 7 days. Morocco is awesome in many ways. There are no road rules and people just drive wherever, there are very cool old buildings, loads of markets and street performers and stray kittens everywhere. I feel like the town freak though. Poeple on scooters will slow down to look at me when I walk past and a billion people try to talk to you. Oh and I suck at bargaining. I rode a camel. That was cool. More updates later.

  Susan Aug 20, 2007 9:52 PM

7

Hi Susan

I have news. Interesting news.

I started a new job today. I have swapped from being a lowly, lowly caravan upholsterer to being a lowly, lowly domestic furniture upholsterer.

Faithful staple gun by my side, I am a blur of intangible craftsmanship and red smoke, stitching, hammering, cutting, weaving magic in order for good honest people to have somewhere to rest their legs and aching behinds. Every staple precisely and mathematically placed, every millimeter of foam sculpted by a team of athletic dolphins to conform to the very sinews of the human body.

We have morning tea break. It goes for seven minutes. A bell rings. Today, I got told to get out of the habit of putting my hands in my jacket pockets.

WE start at 6:30 in the morning. Everyone seems to think this is a good idea. Quite obviously, they are barking mad.

We do get to finish at 2:30, and the factory is in Osbourne Park, which doesn't take long to get to, and means I am only about 10 minutes from the city.

Aside from the early start, I am in a good mood about the change and I shall keep you up to date.

Stick with the camels, they are the future.

Tim



  Timothy the Noble Brave Aug 22, 2007 6:12 PM

8

Hiya Susan, how are you? You look wonderful and seem to be going great, i am so glad.
How lucky for you to have your mum and brother visit you. I haven't seen Helen in a while cos we have both been really busy lately. I can't wait to see her new house though. Now I have another person to visit in good old Armadale. Take care always Sus and bye for now. Luv Kristy. xox

  Kristy Nelson Aug 23, 2007 3:27 PM

9

Hello! Still alive. I got suckered into getting a henna tattoo on my hand. There is only 12 days or so until school goes back and I have an orange disfigurement on the bck AND palm of my left hand. I am worried I will get in trouble. Ummm... I have been to see lots of gardens ans galleries. They are nice. I was followed areound by a boy who was maybe 8. I stopped and gave him some money to get rid of him and he turns around and asks for more; Cheeky devil. There are snake charmers in the square. They have a massive cobra that looks at you menacingly. I am fearful. Having fun, hope you all are too. Great to hear from you Kristy. We shall meet when I come back for Christmas.

  Susan Aug 24, 2007 11:42 PM

10

Hi if you actually read this blog you must have problems.

  Iwanna Bath Mar 23, 2009 6:10 PM

11

You're the lamo who is going through super old blogs I wrote for MY family and friends. Lame...lame!

  Susan Mar 23, 2009 7:16 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.