Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

Easter was yesterday... I have failed!

UNITED KINGDOM | Tuesday, 10 April 2007 | Views [1565] | Comments [6]

Hello everyone!

I hope you all had a truly spectacular easter. At this point I am still yet to have eaten any easter eggs so I am very proud of myself. Thank you to Melissa for sending you kind gift. It was very thoughtful.

I am on holidays. Hurrah! So far I have watched a lot of tv and movies over the internet. Everyone should check out ‘The Departed’. I thought it was good.

Here is what has been happening to me. A couple of weeks back I caught the bus up to Cowes to meet up with some friends that still live there. That was fine. It started getting late so I decided to head home. I sat and waited quietly at the bus stop watching thousands of teenage hooligans ransack this quaint little town. The police drive passed. Who do they decide is more of a threat to the public, the teenage gang, or me, a lone woman sitting at the bus stop. Of course they choose me. A policeman gets out and starts asking me questions where I’ve been, what I’m doing… And takes my name and address. I was quite put out. But also, a little bit glad. It gives me something to write about.

I spend a couple of days this week in London. I saw Taryn, Neil and Ezra and I stayed with Kellee who Ebony and Helen will remember from Ireland. The crowds were absolutely incredible! I spent a good 15 minutes trying to push through the turnstiles at the tube station. The crowds and the fact that I was staying in a shared household with 7 other people made me quite glad that I came to the Isle of Wight rather that London. It was good to visit though. I went shopping and I went to the Tate Modern. The tate Modern was really cool. It was school holidays so there was a big line up for all of the slides so I didn’t go down them. Besides, It is a bit lame to wait in line for a slide by yourself. My favorite room was the surrealists. They had even arranged the pieces all higgledy piggledy to add to the atmosphere.

I went to the west end and saw a show. I saw Equus with Daniel Radcliffe and Richard Griffiths. It was very good. Daniel Radcliffe was naked in the last scene. Not something you see everyday.

On my way back home I caught the ferry to Ryde and waited for a train. I waited and waited and waited and waited… for about 45minutes until finally someone came up to me and said there were taxis waiting outside to take people to where they needed to go. I got in the taxi and asked the driver why the trains weren’t running. He said someone had thrown a bicycle on the tracks. Is it just me or would it not be simpler to pick the bicycle up off the tracks and keep the train going than to stop everything and to pay for people to be ferried about by taxi. I got home in the end anyway.

I want to visit one other place in England before the holidays finish. Just for the day probably. I have yet to decide where though. Only one more week of holidays left. Grrrr!   

I didn't take any pictures this trip. The one at the top was from the first time I went to London.

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Nice work Sue! I enjoyed your blog greatly. Tim, Mel, Helen and Simon watched 'The Departed' also (we have to fork cash over for ours). Daniel was in the room, but only to say 'This is confusing' every half hour. Generally, people seemed to find the constant bullets killing all the nice people a bit much.
I also am on school holidays- HOO-RAY. I have not much to do and not very much time to do it all in. I began my holidays today by doing a quite exciting First Aid course- I got 37/ 40 in the test. I don't know if I will be able to match such excitement. Did I relate how I got 87% in the Year 8 Maths exam? It is displayed on the fridge. Some Year 8's got a better score than me though. Kids.
Oops. Have to run, will write some more soon. There are Fahey Easter breakfasts to describe... Seeya.

  Simon J Apr 10, 2007 7:40 PM

2

Hello Susan

I didn't know the Isle of Wight had trains. I thought if it didnt have bridges then it wouldnt be so technological.
I got a job, finally. Its at the petrol station in Maddington. I havent started yet because its not technically finished, but I have an induction thingy on Saturday at the Woolworths Head Office. Im gonna be paid to watch videos and to sign things.

  Ebony Apr 13, 2007 4:33 PM

3

Have you met any of The Bees Suzie Q? They come from the Isle? You might know their Chicken Payback song. Antiques Roadshow went to the Isle today, I looked for you, but I didn't see you there.

  Meli Apr 13, 2007 7:37 PM

4

Yolp Susie Marie!
Long time no messages from us, so here is one.
Wednesday, Tim and I get the keys for a house that our minders let us live in all by own ownsome. Saturday, we enforce our family to move things for us. Monday, we both want to go back to Mum and Dads. Saturday after, we have our housewarming. Susan, you are invited, but it is ok if you can not be bothered to come. Just send a present.
School has been back for a week. It is an eleven week term. I have decided that that is ridiculous, and am only teaching for eight. It fits my schedule better.
I have just finished a pretty excellent book (Snow Crash) about a futuristic society, where people live at least half their lives as figures on the Web, kinda like Second Life. However, someone invents an online 'drug', which is like a virus, that crashes and rewires your computer, but it is also a virus that crashes and reboots your brain. Then you join a massive cult. Oops. There are a coupla characters all trying to work out what is going on. The fact that is written in 1992, before the Net had gone large, is pretty impressive, however the outdated references, such as programming the VCR seem a bit incongruent.
In my holidays, I partook in taking my two year old nephew to the zoo. With Tim. And his dad, Matt. Three adults to one child. Boring animals are boring. Lizards and birds that sit still and sun themselves are not even worth looking at. Monkeys that jump up and down and dangerously swing on rope constructions are worth yelling, clapping and imitating. Raaaa at tigers. Elephants that are having bath and squirt the crowd with water are worth taking home. We got the full range of two year old emotions- excited, cranky, bored, sleepy and excited again. And that was just about his hat.
Helen, Simon and Tim invested in a reconaissance mission, to see Daniel working in his original habitat. He was. He looks very dashing in his new uniform- I reckon he is going to pull chicks. He is also very polite and helpful. He is new. He assisted me in finding one dollar presents for my 'birthday box' at school. Red Dot has awesome stuff. I purchased bendy pens, rainbow pens, glitter markers, hacky sacks and animal finger puppets. I'm never going to David Jones for my one dollar presents again.
Bjork has a new album. Surprisingly, she has gone completely wacko. Her picture on iTunes is barely recognisable cause she has her face painted bright red and blue, and is under a layer of costume. When she tours Europe, she is going with, amongst other things, an all female brass band, and a church organ player.
Good on her.
Must dash sweetums. Bring home a bear for me. Bya.

  Simon J Apr 30, 2007 6:45 PM

5

Forget it, you two - no way are we having all your junk and two 27 year old sons living back here.
And, by the way - Tim's dad is Ken!!!!!!
Hello Susan.

  Maureen J. May 7, 2007 3:44 PM

6

Yolp Crepe Susette!
Young Timothy and I are in our house of our very own! We have walls and doors and EVERYTHING! The move went very well- our brother-in-law and his friend moved everything over on Friday night, so on Saturday we had people come and help us unopen boxes and make house. It was fun. I kinda wandered from room to room, picking one thing up and then putting it down to pick something up in the next room. It's a kinda crop-rotation form of unpacking. Pretty much everything is unpacked, except our bedrooms- I can't fathom why no one wanted to put away my underwear? Mark and Lisa set up our kitchen- they argue in which order you place the knives, forks and spoons in the drawer. So we now how to ring up Lisa and ask where there corkscrew is, and do we have Tabasco sauce?
A side note- someone noted that Australians have tea towels in the third kichen drawer. This is true for 60% of the houses we have broken into and checked. Not for our own though-does that mean we are un-Australian? Perhaps you can do some Trans-continental research and see what Aislanders have in their third drawer.
The Budget was released this morning, amidst much hearts a-fluttering. From what I can tell from reading an editorial on a scrap of the West Australian on the train floor, it appears that everyone is getting money. Seniors are getting $500 straight up each, just kinda, well because. Which kinda reminds me of the Futurama episode where Fry drinks 300 cups of coffee. This is also a coupla pennies for education, and incentives for teachers (cancelling school would be an incentive).
This Saturday is our house warming- we have no idea what is going to happen. It is from morning till night, so we are arming ourselves with a large pile of snack foods, some music and a jigsaw. Perhaps we'll go see a movie and just leave the door open.
Tra-lee tra-la. The Internet Gods have granted us access to the World Wide Web again- as you may have noticed. I had to go nearly SIX days without it- i realise that I am a boring person without a Reuters Oddly Enough article to read and recite. I also had thirty two emails to read- mostly offers from Nigerian princes to offload money into my account. What luck!
This Sunday is Mothers Day. I assume you have made your mum something nice out of macaroni and glitter?
Over and out,
S. J.

  Simon J May 10, 2007 12:54 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.