Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

2007 Ra Ra Ra!

IRELAND | Tuesday, 2 January 2007 | Views [1724] | Comments [20]

Happy New Year – we hope your new year is above average.

Well, due to our good nature and the overwhelming response to our threats, we have freed Sue.

We didn’t get as much money as we would have liked but we did receive some lovely skulls, not all of them are from N*Sync - we will be sending Abs’s back.

Besides, do you have any idea what it costs to keep a hostage? It is really not worth the bother.

We have been in Ireland, we spent Christmas day there, and we have put videos on the journal, they are a bit quite, have a look at them – NOW!

We did much in Ireland, it is a wonderful place, and here are some highlights.

About, let’s say 413 years ago, the Irish helped, let’s say, the Scottish fight some war or other and in return the Scots thanked the Irish by giving them not gold, or land, or gift vouchers, but a rock. This was however a magical rock (they were fresh out of beans) – for when you kiss this rock you are blessed with the gift of the gab and can tell stories and tall tales like any Irishman – The Blarney Stone.

This is all great except the recipients of this miraculous gift decided that they would like to keep this priceless stone at the top of a huge impenetrable fort. To get to it you need to climb a trillion narrow slippery cobble steps in a long, long tower. When you get to the top there is not, as you would expect, a magnificent sparkly stone waiting to be snogged, but an old man ready to dangle you over the edge of the fort while you briefly peck the stone. You come up apparently electrified with your newly acquired verbal abilities, you did come up shaking but that may have been from nearly plunging 100 meters to your death.

At the place where the Blarney stone lives is an awesome fairy garden with trees that have twisty roots, a ‘witches’ kitchen’ that was made up of hollow trees and caves. There were also rivers and ponds with little bridges.

There were wishing steps that you had to walk up… backwards…with your eyes closed, and then you had to walk back down them… backwards… with your eyes closed – otherwise your wishes wouldn’t come true.

There were about 30 wet slimy cobble steps, we went up backwards with our eyes closed except for when we were cheating. We were mostly wishing not to slip and fall hysterically or fatally, so our wishes did come true.

We went to the Cliffs of Mohor, which were the ‘Cliffs of Insanity’ in THE PRICESS BRIDE - that was a lot of fun …Hello. My name is Indigo Montoya. You killed my father, prepare to die”... I digress… they are building a visitors centre hobbit style in a hill so as not to affect the landscape.

We drove through lots of little towns and villages. In the middle of fields and on the side of roads were these spiky little trees that looked divinely out of place and not particularly special. It is wicked bad luck to cut down one of these fairy trees, they belong to the fairies. Along time ago, let’s say 3890 years ago, the Celts and another race of people who were druids and wizards came to Ireland and a war for the land ensued. Eventually they all got bored and they formed a truce and it was decided that the Celts would occupy the parts of Ireland that saw the sun and the magical peoples would have the parts that were underground, they became the fairies, leprechauns, banshees etc. How cool is that? It’s our favourite story, badly retold by me, the Blarney Stone mojo obviously hasn’t kicked in yet.

Farewell fair Ireland, we are going around Europe next week

Bye for now, we are saving lots of electricity by using the skulls are candelabras. Who knows, maybe next time we will let Sue post a message on her own journal, when her muscles have recovered from the atrophy they suffered being tied up and she is able to type…

Helen

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

U tube videos. I couldn't put them up because the technological part of my brain is faulty.

Susan


Eb


Helen

  Susan Jan 2, 2007 1:49 AM

2

See... faulty

Susan



Eb



Helen

  Susan Jan 2, 2007 1:50 AM

3

Susan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihSwdti7lbY
Helen
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyQo6TxSTU
Ebony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YtVGQEjtYT0

  Susan Jan 2, 2007 2:10 AM

4

Awesome

  Susan Jan 2, 2007 2:11 AM

5

Howdy Sue, Hel & Eb,

It's nice to see you guys again! Is your hair black Sue, it looks different? Why do you put the kangaroo in the microwave? Is it for eating? Happy New Year! What did you guys do? Me, Simon & Tim went to the amplifier bar & saw lots of bands & danced the year away! The highlight for me was this little band that I think is called Okioki! (they have a few songs on myspace), they have one guy on guitar, another on a drum machine & some special mouth keyboard (i'm sure tim or sim know whats it's really called) & another guy on a keyboard. They don't sing, but they were pretty cool to watch. Less than a week now til i'm leaving on an aeroplane, do know when i'll be back again. More pictures, more video, more peruvian red fighting snakes, i just want more. Have fun on the tour.

  Meli Jan 3, 2007 12:37 AM

6

I'd like your opinion on a small hypothetical matter that has arisen.

Say for example, someone cheerily asks the nice people she is temporarily living with to please close the toilet seat after they have used the bathroom, and say that this request is made because this gentle soul has to keep her toiletries on the bench situated above the toilet due to limited space. And say that this request is repeatedly and rudely ignored, and then say one day she accidentally knocks her shower puff into the toilet.

Should the person who carelessly left the toilet seat up have to buy her a new shower puff? Well should they?
I think they should, even if they were rushing to see Iggy Pop on the TV, that is no excuse. They are of course of a different opinion, figures…

  Stinky Jan 4, 2007 6:27 AM

7

I say that the silly person who carelessly knocked her shower thingy into the toilet should be held responsible, as she had every chance to avoid the shower thingys fate by closing the toilet before she began shower thingy juggling. Also, this person seems a bit controlling, in the way of a dicator, and should maybe reaccess her point of view because Iggy Pop is awesome, and mistakes happen.

  Not Ebony Jan 4, 2007 6:35 AM

8

david bowie is gonna be on a ep. of spongebob squarepants

  another person who is not ebony Jan 5, 2007 8:04 PM

9

Yo Fahey Trio! Don't know where the heck you will be when you get this message, so hope that you are soaking up the rich rich heritage of European culture and tourist t-shirts.
At this very moment, Little Tim is attempting to get a pizza shop in Mandurah to supply him with 30 pizzas. He is hungry.
At this very moment, Melissa is going absolutely mental trying to pack 600 kilos of stuff into tiny tiny bags. She is leaving for her world tour tonight at 11.45. She is mental.
At this very momnet, Marie Curie is discovering penicillin AND falling in love with Yahoo Serious.
At this very moment, Simon should be packing to go to Denmark tomorrow- but is in fact writing this very sentence on the Internet. Simon and his little little brother are travelling down to Denmark in Helens car- you should see it on two wheels! It shoud be lotsa fun.
At this very moment, Mr Fahey is reading what Simon just wrote and having an epileptic fit. We went to the Faheys to pick up keys and Mr Fahey was very nice and checked the oil and tyres, and showed us which way was forward and which way was reverse. We are SET.
At this very moment, somewhere, a Year 8 Dale student is sitting thinking, "If only school was going back, so I could participate in one of Mr James' entertaining yet highly educational class programs. Sigh."
At this very moment, Belinda is making pasta carbonara- despite the fact that she made it on Saturday night, and Mel, Tim and Simon thought it delicious, her little sister demanded that she go all the way to the shop, get all the ingredients and make it AGAIN- for her.
At this very moment, Justin Timberlake is performing in Upper Mongolia, and wondering where his skull has gone.
At this very moment, Mum and Dad (Simon and Timmy's parents) are watching the news and cooking dinner. They will then settle in to a quiet night of base jumping and graffiting some capitalist billboards with political statements, and play Suduko.

And now, you are. Up. To. Date.

  Simon J Jan 8, 2007 7:31 PM

10

Hello,

Getting to Melbourne was a bit of a nightmare (not the flight though, that was great, one of the best), but checking in is where it all went wrong!
First it seems there is some sort of baggage problem affecting all Australian domestic airports, (the queue for the domestic checkin was insanely long, it went outside the airport and around the carpark), luckily the international line wasn't quite that bad, but it still took forever & the time to my flight was ticking away. They fast tracked my flight's checkin eventually (but it was just as i got to the front of the line anyway).
Secondly, when i got to the man, there was a problem with my ticket, it didn't have the perth to melbourne page (apparently you need one to fly from perth to melbourne). Cut to me & dad running to the ticket counter, while nicole saved my space. When we got there the lady just put a note in the computer to tell the man to accept me without the page!
Finally when i got back to the man at the ticket counter i discovered i didn't have louise's address (which i need before they let me on the plane), frantic calls to chicago, no answer, so melissa just guesses the address (which i am happy to say, was only 2 letters off).
My flight left 45 minutes late (which was ok for me, but i feel sorry for those with a tight conection). I having breaky & hoping the pharmacy will open soon, so i can get some hayfever tabs.

  Meli Jan 9, 2007 6:42 AM

11

I'm in Chicago! YAY! So all my planes left late, I've been frisked, randomly searched for explosives, one of my bags (the one with all my clothes, not the one with all the presents for Louise) hasn't arrived yet & got no sleep in the last 50 or more hours. But I'm here now, so far i've noticed it's cold & americans are really friendly (so are australian male overseas travellers). I've been too tired to notice anything else. Hope everyone else's travels are going well.

  Meli Jan 10, 2007 9:45 PM

12

It hasn't been easy since my captors released me. I have shrinking away from bright lights, hearing people scream only to discover the noise coming from my own lips, and worst of all a sensation of being physically displaced. I can no longer recognise the objects around me or understand what people say. I am seeing many things as if for the first time. There was a special wall I saw today. I think it would help me to recover further if anyone can guess WHAT special wall it was.

  Susan Jan 11, 2007 8:23 AM

13

A psychic wall of energy (that SpongeBob confronts)

  The Good Guessers Jan 15, 2007 11:39 PM

14

The Great Wall of China

  The Good Guessers Jan 15, 2007 11:40 PM

15

A walrus.

  The Good Guessers Jan 15, 2007 11:40 PM

16

A firewall?

  The Good Guessers Jan 15, 2007 11:47 PM

17

Yo Ebony, Susan and Helen!

Am here to fill you in on the grand adventure that Timothy and Simon had. We went to Denmark (town), Albania (Albany) and Venice (restaurant)- our own European vacation!
Getting to Denmark at lunch time, we were greeted by our sister and brother-in-law, and got the tour- their house faces out over the river inlet thing- very pretty. They took us to a honey meadery, where we had honey icecream, which was pretty fantastic. They have a thin bee hive between two planes of glass, so all you can see is a wall of bees.
On the second day we visited Denmark town, and generally walked around. The weather was windy and rainy, and Simon forgot a jumper, so purchased a fetching blue number from IGA. Despite Simon feeling uncomfortable at having to wear the colour blue, Tim said it looked pretty tuff. We visited art galleries and a cheese factory and also a winery that also made those annoying wooden puzzle things.
On the third day, we drove to Albany, we walked around the main streets- the newer chain stores like Blockbuster and KFC seem to be banished to the outer edges. Tim bought a tambourine.
We had dinner with Karyn and Wes at an Italian restaurant in Albany.
We also dutifully purchased an Albany postcard for Mr Fahey, as requested. We don't know why.
On our last day we visited Dinosaur World, which has reptiles and birds and enormous dinosaur skeletons. The reptiles actually moved, unlike most zoo animals (one lizard had ADD) and the birds tried to bite off your fingers. The dinosaurs did not move, or even try to bite off your fingers, despite what is alluded to in current picture shows at your local cinema.
We also did the TreeTop walk, which is a flimsy metal frame someone has thrown together so people can go on a rollercoaster ride high up in the air amongst some MASSIVE trees. At the highest point, you are FORTY metres up in the air, which means the trees are at least EIGHTY, and would hurt a lot if they fell on you. Needless to say, Simon concentrated quite particularly on the hand-rail whilst walking around, and occassionally managed to look at a tree or two from in between his fingers.
This was not helped by the little boy from the family behind us who would run up the ramps (shaking them considerably- ooh, if death stares could inflict damage) and then loudly inform everyone that only ten people are allowed on a viewing platform at one time, and so two more people and the whole thing would come toppling over. The boy was actually very nice and we asked him to take a photo of us, which he did quite condfidently whilst the two adventurers huddled in the foetal position.
On the way back, we took the long way home- deliberately- and went through towns like Walpole and Pemberton and some so little that everyone just lived in a letterbox. We bought cheese and berries and jam (Dad's birthday) a wooden kookaburra bookmark, and some man jewellery made out of computer circuits. Simon dutifully kept Tim interested and enlivened whilst driving by manning the mp3 player and choosing the funkiest songs the world has known.
We finally arrived home at about 7.30 at night, and crashed. Metaphorically, not automotively, it is ok Helen. We have scrubbed all the Nazi graffiti off the windows, and got the sun roof working again.
All in all, not a bad trip.

PS Simon has been missing his computer, and in particular, being able to contribute to Sues Journal. Can you tell?

  Simon J Jan 16, 2007 9:01 PM

18

Hadrian's Wall? Were are you Sue, Eb & Helen? What have you been doing? I've finished with Chicago now & I've just got to New York, New York! I saw SNOW in Chicago & I went skiing! I fell down lots & lots. Ski's are really heavy & annoying, once you fall down you can't get up again. Apparently the weather was perfect for skiing & several people said they lived for days like we had, but i don't know why they bother, it too much like hard work! Hope your all good, catchya later.

  Meli Jan 19, 2007 10:40 AM

19

Hi, Helen, Suse and Ebony. I have sent you an email, but thought I'd put something on Susan's journal too, in case you look at it first. We received all your SMS messages and I replied to them all, and the messages seemed to go off OK. I don't know why you didn't get the replies, except that my phone is quite an old model. I'm glad you are enjoying your trip, and hope you like Florence, which was my favourite European city. We have just spent 6 days in Busselton and had a good time, and we're now in Pemberton with the Cheesemans. It was 7 degrees here last night. We are going home tomorrow because I have to go back to work on Monday. We will let you know about any of your mail when we get back. Lots of love, Mum, Ted, Dan, Janet and Roger. XXX

  Lesley Fahey Jan 20, 2007 9:48 PM

20

I don't recall the car having a sunroof before... but then i never did pay much attention.

We are in Florence right now, it is nice, we are tired. We haven't had much time to check our emails or sleep or do anything that is not absolutly nessesary. We have seen the VanGoug museum, the Sistine Chapel, The Colloseum, The Berlin Wall and many other cool things I am sure will be added to the journal in due time.

There are alot of bad pictures that i have taken as well so we will put these on the journal too... in due time.

  H Jan 21, 2007 7:17 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Ireland

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.