Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

If you are bored ask Ebony for a game of FORENSIC DETECTIVE

ITALY | Sunday, 21 January 2007 | Views [1755] | Comments [12]

Hello Everyone,

We have been gone for 2 weeks and have 1 week left or there abouts. The further along in the trip we go the quicker everything seems to whiz by. Amsterdam lasted forever and Rome just whizzed by. SO far we have stayed in Amsterdam, Berlin, Prague, Munich, Venice, Rome and we are in Florence right now. Mine and Eb's favorite has been Berlin. The Berlin wall (part of it at least) was what i refereed to in my last mail. Helen's favorites have been Prague and Rome.

Our contiki group os the quiet sedate one. (Relitively speaking) There are lots of couples and everyone seems to get along quite well. There are 2 Canadians, 2 Americans and 1 New Zealander. The rest are Australians. There are quite a few from Perth though which is a bit strange. Speaking of Perth, if you live in Perth (Or Adelaide] you get in tho the collesium for half price. We are not quite sure why.

We have seen many of the famous things that people see in Europe. I will briefly list my favorite things both famous and not so famous things.

  • In Amsterdam I really liked the Van Gogh museum. You saw a lot of his paintings coupled with other paintings that were inspired by or inspired them. It was cool.
  • In Berlin we saw the remaining sections of the Wall and were taken to various sites from World War II. It was very interesting.
  • When you went in to West Berlin from East there were people who would stamp your passport with the stamp from when the wall stood. This was vey illegal but vey cool.
  • The flashing man at traffic lights in East Berlin wears a hat.
  • In Prague we saw a black light puppet show. That was magical.
  • In Munich we went to the Hofbrauhaus which was the beer hall hitler drank in in before trying to overtake the government in munich. It is also the sight of his assasination attempt. iT IS STILL A VERY POPULAR BEER HALL.
  • Rome we saw a church that was entirely decorated with the skeletons of deeased monks. That was awesome.

OK. That is all I have the energy for Helen put a comment up for the last entry seconds before I wrote this so check that also.

Seeya.

Tags: planes trains & automobiles

Comments

1

Yo. Some thoughts to kick things off (not necessarily interesting).
1. A recipe from Belinda's cookbook- "Apple milk. 1 cup of apple juice. 1 cup of milk. Blend." Hahahahahahahahahaha.
2. Garrison Keillor is the host of 'A Prairie Home Companion', the radio show which Robert Altman (RIP) made into his last movie. He is ALSO the voiceover guy for Honda, so at the end of the awesome ad where all the car parts go off in a big chain reaction, he says- "Isn't it nice when things just work?" Phew. Long story for not much comprehensible pay-off.
3. Another recipe- "Banana milk. (Can you guess what's in it?) 1 banana. 1 cup of milk. Blend THOROUGHLY."
4. The recipe book also recommends if dieting and you are invited over to someone's house, then the best thing to do is to eat beforehand, or BRING SOMETHING WITH YOU! Hahahahahahahaha. Can people PLEASE try that when they come over to my house after I have spent hours slaving over a hot stove?
5. Another recipe- "Orange milk (You know it) 1 cup of orange juice. 1 cup of milk. Blend." That is disgusting- isn't that the recipe to make something curdle?

  Simon J Jan 21, 2007 1:46 PM

2

When are you going to be in Paris?

  Meli Jan 25, 2007 3:19 AM

3

Some more thoughts (even less interesting):
6. In my wandering around of educational stores (WHAT?) I notice that all the latest Romeo and Juliet books have a front cover photo of a modern Juliet with eyeliner so black and thick you could tar a road with it. Juliet as emo?
7. Which is bigger, a megamart, or a supermart?
8. This week it was announced that the Education Mimister has scrapped parts of Outcomes Based Education, including reporting in levels for Year 11 & 12. This was accompanied by teachers rejoicing in the streets, followed by an impending sense of doom at what crazy system they are going to replace it with.

  Simon J Jan 25, 2007 6:22 PM

4

And another:
9. Today, the Big Day Out is in Sydney, and the biggest controversy over the rock-pig festival is not over the artists performing (in fact, people are quite UNcontroversed up about THEM) but that the organisers have asked people to refrain from brandishing the Aus. flag, in case it incites racial animosity in boiler-room Sydney's multicultural people. This has caused much hand-wringing and furrowed brows from our own Prime Minister John Howard, NSW RSL President Don Rowe, and Burt Lane of the Australian National Flag Association. They were deeply concerned that bratty nose-pierced, punk-haired youth weren't going to have the opportunity to burn the flag, wear it as a diaper, or wave it aggressively in the face of someone dubbed 'migrant'. Mate.

  Simon J Jan 25, 2007 8:50 PM

5

I missed you guys, that made me sad. Did you have fun in france anyway? Was that the end of your tour?

  Meli Jan 26, 2007 2:04 AM

6

I was sad too! :-(
Tour is over and I'll see you in a couple weeks! ;-)

  Susan Jan 27, 2007 3:18 AM

7

HAPPY AUSTRALIA DAY!

Ozzie Ozzie Ozzie... I tell you, if i hear that chant one more time...

Mel, my phone lost reception after I dropped it at the Lourve, i got it back when I messaged you. I am sorry we missed you too. Yep we had fun in France and it was the end of our trip. We went to the Moulin Rouge on our last night there, it was mad, a cool way to end the tour. It was actually a bit sad as everyone went their seperate ways when the bus got back. I liked everywhere that we went, Ebony and Sue were more selective. I have alot of pictures, and should have taken more than I did. I will make everyone look at all of them, individually, and slowly, as I painstakingly explain what we were doing at the time they were taken, maybe I should get them made into slides...

  h Jan 27, 2007 3:18 AM

8

I'm in Chirstmasland! Well not really, but the land was completely white with snow & there were forrests full of christmas trees on the train ride in. I'm actually in Geneva in Switzerland. I didn't like France so much when I got there, but today I was sad to leave. The best thing about Paris is just walking down the street, it is sooooo beautiful, all 17th century buildings & every now & then you walk towards the Eiffel Tower. The worst thing about France is the bureaucracy, there are so many rules, but they don't tell you what they are & if you don't follow them they get really annoyed & make it difficult for you. Can't wait to hear a few "she'll be right" & "no worries" when I get home.

  Meli Jan 28, 2007 5:27 AM

9

Switzerland is awesome. The Swiss people are nicer than the French. We were there when they had their first snow for the winter - which was very very late this year. It started snowing when we went out for dinner and then it snowed all night then in the morning everything was completely covered in powdery snow that wouldn't stick into very good snow balls or snow men, it was wonderful.

  H Jan 28, 2007 6:48 AM

10

My flight to London has been cancelled because of the flight attendent's strike! If you know anyone working in British Airways, encourage them to give the flight attendents whatever they want. I have had only one flight so far that hasn't had some issue, like being late, losing my bags, huge lines & that was on Jet Blue. Don't think I want to fly with Qantas, BA or AA again.

  Meli Jan 29, 2007 11:31 PM

11

hey susan glad to hear you had a great time and da old country is treating you well
have a pint of hob gobblin for me

EB

  barnesy Feb 4, 2007 5:42 PM

12

Dear Susan,
It is lovely reading your journal and about all the places you've been to. You are probably back at work now, so I hope that is going well. I hope the weather is not too cold. You are probably acclimatised by now. It was 50 degrees in the south-west, yesterday, in Kulin, and the birds were falling out of the trees. There are a lot of bush fires in the south-west, around Dwellingup, and quite a few houses were destroyed. Fires broke out on some of the barges on the Swan River after the Skyworks on Australia Day. We are all right down here. We also did the Tree-Top walk at Walpole when Emma was down. Simon's description was pretty accurate. Love the photo of you all outside Fahyfoto. Byee,

Love Janet

  Janet Feb 6, 2007 7:17 PM

 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.