Existing Member?

My super boring journal I would like some more pressed duck.

My trip to Brataslava

CANADA | Thursday, 10 August 2006 | Views [1836] | Comments [13]

Hi hi,

How the hell are you? Trying to release the inner Australian.

New York was fantastic. I can recommend it to everyone. It was very beautiful. All of the buildings are really cool. They are all really different in there own way and all together look very nice. The parks are really awesome too. They are very well designed and are always chock full of people. People all live in apartments so know one has a backyard that they could use to do normal backyard type things in. So, they do everything in the parks. There were several groups with guitars. They weren’t busking they were just sharing music. People also do fancy fighting excersises and BEST of all, there were a whole bunch of women in Central Park lying on towels, sunbaking in their bikinis. You should all go and do this in Kings Park.

We did a lot of things in New York. I took my reference for these things mostly from Futurama. For example, we stayed in a hotel in New Jersey. It was only a 10 minute drive from Manhattan so it didn’t matter but I was reminded of the time when Fry was looking for an apartment. He found one that was awesome and really cheap and asked the real estate guy what was wrong with it. Hi response was ‘Technically we are in New Jersey’ and Fry ran away. There were many Futurama recollections on this trip.

I went with one of my students from the language college. Her and another girl we met up with from Germany were who I hung around with on the trip. It is them you will see in many of the photos. One of them is Nadja and one is Hilka. We went to Times square which is the main tourist drag. It has plenty of shops and is where Broadway is. There were many flashing lights and impressive billboards. There were many people everywhere. We went to the empire state building. That gave us a very nice view of ALL of Manhattan. Everything is very closely compacted together and you can that many of New Yorks famous buildings are very close together. We drove over to Brooklyn and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge back into Manhattan. That was quite fun actually. We went to Pier 17, which was just a mall on the river that had a few little galleries around the place. We then did a walking tour of the financial district and saw the stock exchange and Wall street etc. I thought this was a bit boring but Nadja is very much in to economics and was super excited. It takes all sorts. Then we went on a river cruise to see the Statue of Liberty. That also gave us a good view of the different areas of New York. But, it went for two hours and by the end I was almost asleep. Luckily, at this point the boat turned sharply throwing us from our seats. We awoke just in time to disembark. We did some shopping down 5th avenue and saw the NBC studios, Rockefeller centre, Radio City Music Hall, The Library, Brant Park and some churches.

On Sunday we did Central Park. I didn’t want to spend 4 hours here so I went to the Museum of Modern Art. It was AWESOME. There was a Dadaism exhibition and all of the permanent collection was made up of very famous, instantly recognisable paintings and artist. I saw Starry Night. There was stuff by everybody and you got a free audio tour. It was great.

Then we did Greenwich Villiage, SoHo, Little Italy and China Town. Greenwick Village and Soho were very cool. Interesting shops and cheaper than other parts of the city. Little Italy was like an outdoor bazaar. Busy but very friendly. Chinatown was CRAZY. There were many stall selling discount souvenirs but there were also people walking up whispering “Louis Vutton, Dior, Gucci” or “Rolex, Cartier”. If you said yes you would be ferried around the corner down some steps into a tiny room stuffed to the brim with counterfeit handbags. This was supercool at first but then physically and emotionally draining. Hen we left and sat in a park watching a man do martial arts with his shirt off and listening to people sing and play the guitar. It was fun.

On the way back we stopped at an outlet mall in Pennsylvania. It was awesome. I bought two watches and a pair of shoes.

I have been back working at the language school. It is awesome because so far I have invites to stay with people in France, Italy and Germany. Awsome, This is my longest post ever. You should all follow suit by writing YOUR longest comment ever.  

Tags: Sightseeing

Comments

1

Hi, Susan. I was looking forward to your entry about New York. That is somewhere I'd like to visit. I'm glad you're having a good time and seeing a few 'local' places before you move to England. Also, am getting quite excited about coming to visit you in the Isle of Wight next July - with Daniel, by the way. Sorry this is not very long. Catch you later. Love. Mum XXX

  Mum Aug 10, 2006 2:10 PM

2

YOUR longest comment ever.

Oh, the stupidity of the English language, and the lack of wit of this post. Revel in it.

  Ezra Aug 10, 2006 3:43 PM

3

YOUR longest comment ever.

Ezra, I bow down before you. It took me a while to work out what you were on about, but now I am giggling all day. Revel, I will.

NOW Susan, have you included a lie AS I instructed? It is either:
-that Wall Street would be boring.
-that someone is 'into' economics.
-that you went shopping and bought a pair of shoes.
-that the Art Gallery audio tour was free.
-that you would spend your afternoon watching a man with his shirt off.

Gotta go. Ya ya.

  Simon J Aug 10, 2006 9:55 PM

4

I don't get it.

Futurama is the epitome of cultural reference. After I came back from Canada I watched some episodes of the Tom Green Show, he is Canadian and a lot of the places he was doing his crazy stuff in we had been to!

I think the lie is that looking at counterfeit handbags would get emotionally draining.

  H Aug 10, 2006 10:15 PM

5

I was watching music videos this morning in my pyjamas. Got the visual image? Let me tell you about some awesome video clips.
1. The Zutons (Why Won't You Give Me Your Love?) are doing a West Side Story homage, with a massive street dance battle between two gangs. It is a little bit Michael Jackson 'Bad', but the constant twirls and balletic leaps makes it Sharks and Jets.
2. Flaming Lips (The Yeah Yeah Yeah Song) have a video clip which is GREAT. A older man in a suit has hamburgers taped all over his body, then is pushed out in front of three fat, hungry men, who chase him down the street. A Paris Hiltonesque girl is taped up with donuts, and pushed into a police headquarters, and three hungry policemen chase after her.
The lead singer of the Flaming Lips is a major-general in charge of the proceeding, but then he is strapped down with raw meat, and pushed out in front of a large wolf-man. HA! Much chasing ensues.
3. Gnarls Barkley (Smiley Faces) is a documentary about who Gnarls Barkley is. A musicologist (played by Dennis Hopper!) states that Gnarls was involved in every music event. We then see old black and white footage of Duke Ellington and old jazz guys, with the two guys from Gnarls Barkley playing instruments or sitting in the background. They are seen in clips from Woodstock, Bob Marley, David Bowie, Michael Jackson, Andy Warhol and political revolutio in South America. It is great.

I am up to 'Aurora' by Bjork.

  Simon J Aug 12, 2006 12:30 PM

6

Hi Sue, I didn't get Ezra's comment either and had to ask Simon to explain it to me and it then still took me half the day to "catch on". Oh Dear, the woes of being a Senior.
Master Patt, you've been very quiet lately. Perhaps it's the stress of having a nearly 1 year old daughter! Where has the past year gone?

  Maureen J. (no relation to Simon J.) Aug 14, 2006 4:15 PM

7

YOUR longest comment ever.

Yes Maureen J. (not related to Simon J.) you are right to say that I have been absent recently. Shame on me. It is true... baby Megan in soon to have her first birthday. Rosemary is going to attempt to make a cake in the shape of a butterfly. It will be covered in colourful icing and will be a hit, I am sure.

Susan... did you see ground zero? What was it like? Did you see a hotdog vendor on the street? Did you try one? Did you add a star to 'Stary Night' with liquid paper? New York, New York... reminds me of a great song... and now it is in your head for the rest of the day... Ha!

  Master Patt Aug 15, 2006 1:19 AM

8

PS... I will not revel!

  Master Patt Aug 15, 2006 1:21 AM

9

Hey look in the photo. You can water ski without a boat.

  Ezra Aug 15, 2006 9:15 AM

10

Well hello,

HAPPY BIRTHDAY EBONY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hope all your lovely and non-nightmarish dreams come true :)

Apart from that, not very much to say, I am making a database for work for the last 4 years, hence the avoidance strategies I am employing right NOW.
“Yes I am sure I can probably make a database in Access, never having used it before or even seen it, how hard can it be?” She says. So it should be complete in about 100 years.

It is very rainy today, I looked out the window this morning and the sea was black, it was pretty cool then it rained in the house, I left the door open.

On the radio I heard that some parent (God bless parents everywhere) had successfully sued a school for letting her son get to year 5 not being able to read. I really really hope this doesn’t become a trend – just what I need. There are plenty more where he came from... Actually I hope no one finds out about it... so forget all about it... forget...

  H Aug 15, 2006 11:41 AM

11

Episode #6: (SING)"Tiffany Road, where I will never, Tiffany Road, roses are forever, Tiffany Road, makes all your shines hope through... ooooh."
Cut to close up of Susette desperately trying not very hard to struggle out of the rope that tied her to the chair. "I'm SORRY if your twin sister is better than you, and you are forced to permanently live in her shadow, and the way she gets a job, and finds a man, and makes friends and hosts her own televsion show, whereas you are unemployed, lonely and don't have a show to host, but that's no reason to drag ME here to this abandonded iceskating rink next door to the hospital slash model agency, tie me to a chair and threaten my life with a large tub of full-cream icecream. Why don't you kidnap HER?" Susette ran out of breath.
"THAT'S ENOUGH exposition" demanded Veronica. "Besides, I know your TERRIBLE secret... The secret, that if revealed, will shake everything you know to it's core, and your whole world will crumble down around you. That secret, the one I'm about to say, the one which will change everything is..."
Voices call from outside. Veronica quickly gathers her tools, and changes into her getaway outfit. Susette, getting her breath back, yells "You'll never get away with this." Veronica got away, out the window.
Firemen burst through the doors, and are slightly disappointed to see nothing on fire, this being an ice rink. Sam, the firefighter trying to break into modelling, ran over to Susette, then fell flat on his face on the ice. Crawlig over to Susette, he cried, "Oh Susette," blood rolling down his cheeks. "We thought that you might be... might be... slightly less beautiful. Thank goodness your complexion is ok. It is lucky the fire department is only across the road." He manages to untie the ropes, and then because of his broken leg, Susette carries him in her arms, out of the ice-rink.
NEXT WEEK, ON 'TIFFANY ROAD', DOES SUSETTE KNOW WHERE SHE IS GOING IN LIFE? WILL SUSETTE BE ABLE TO ANSWER THE QUESTIONS THAT PLAGUE A SOUL IN THE DEAD OF NIGHT? AND IS SHE EATING ENOUGH GREENS? All this and more in the next installment of "Tiffany Roooooooooad."

  The Soapy Sphinx Aug 15, 2006 7:50 PM

12

Hi sue,
I'm not sure if you ever look at the other Journals pages on World Nomads...? Well, not only do you have more comments than anyone else ever (does this mean more friends, or simply ones with loads of time on their hands?), but you are also the blogger with the most posts by a long shot. A whopping 66. Check out the Most Active Writers list here - http://adventures.worldnomads.com/journals/default.aspx
christy :-D

  crustyadventures Aug 17, 2006 1:24 PM

13

WOOOOOH! GO SUSIE! Queen of blogs AND comments! Though I think Christy nailed it with the 'ones with loads of time on their hands' quip.

  Simon J Aug 18, 2006 12:34 AM

 

 

Travel Answers about Canada

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.