Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Denmark & Margaret River Region

AUSTRALIA | Saturday, 22 May 2010 | Views [423]

 

After Albany we visited the lovely town of Denmark.  (it reminds me a bit of Maleny / Montville area).  Loads of quirky, arty, and interesting shops, organic café’s, and a glorious bakery where we indulged somewhat.  The scenery is beautiful, and the undulating timber country is just breathtaking with forests, rivers and lakes.  We stopped at a local meadery where we sampled and purchased some of the fantastic spiced mead wine – which we are enjoying warmed on these cold nights.  Also had some honey icecream.

 

We stopped off to do the tree top walk in the Walpole- Narnalup Nat. Park in “the valley of the giants”.  It has a 600mt long 38 mt high tree top walk through the canopy of the giant red tingle trees (which are only found in this area).  It was really well done, and there were also ground based walks as well which we all enjoyed. 

 

Camped overnight at Shannon National Park where we met a lovely couple from Melbourne with their 3 yo daughter, who have introduced us to some terrific german board games that we will have to find on our return.

 

The next day Steve and Ethan climbed up the 52 metre high diamond tree tower.  The ladder winds up a massive Karri tree and was constructed in the 194’s as a fire tower.  I can’t imaging this being available unsupervised for tourists to climb in QLD where it seems we are all so risk averse….

 

The Bibbulum walking Track extend from Perth to Albany – 946 ks of walking track which has camp sites not more than a day apart.  We have walked along a few sections – it would be a great walk to do if you had a spare 8 – 10 weeks and a support team!

 

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.