Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Port Lincoln – (Fishermans Point and Memory Cove)

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 5 May 2010 | Views [942]

 

On arrival, we initially camped at Port Lincoln National Park – at fishermans point.  IT was the Sunday of the Anzac Day long weekend -  so quite busy when we arrived although the campsite soon emptied out on the Monday afternoon.  It is beautiful, and so soul restoring to see the water again.  Although the desert is certainly spectacular, both Steve and I have had to acknowledge that we both breathed a deep sigh when we saw the ocean and felt instantly more relaxed.  (we must be predominantly water people I think).

 

This now feels like a holiday – beside the sea; swimming, fishing, walking.  It is very restful.  We have had feeds of fresh mussels – collected by Steve and Ethan, as well as squid fished from the bay.  Yummo.

We have taken advantage of having a city nearby and have had the car serviced (they also washed all the bulldust off), and when Steve thought we had a puncture, it was back into Port Lincoln to the tyre repair place. (wasn’t a puncture – some sort of valve malfunction apparently). We have to say that everyone we have come across in Port Lincoln the township has been extremely friendly and helpful. 

 

After 5 days at Fishermans Point we moved to Memory Cove.  This is a spectacular sheltered, placid and scenic bay with a beautiful sandy beach – still in the National Park, but which is restricted to visitors as it is a wilderness protection area.  It is possible for people to book to camp there for up to 3 days – and we were lucky enough to be able to extend our time by another 2 nights.  You feel a bit “robinson cruisoe”  as you have your own private beach and it is easy to forget that there is anyone else out there.  (however unlike RC – we haven’t been ship wrecked, have fresh water, gas cooking, warm beds clothing etc…… so probably in hind sight – not really like him at all!) J

 

It is just stunningly beautiful and peaceful.  Dolphins and Seals come into ‘our’  cove at about 4pm.  (Perfect timing for wine and cheese and crackers on the beach to watch the show).   Loads of bird life (and Jeff – I have seen my first snake of the trip….. nothing to rival any of your whoppers, this one was only a foot long – if that).

 

Matthew Flinders named this cove in 1802 in memory of members of his crew lost at sea.  His ship the HMS Investigator had been anchored at Cape Catastrophy, and 8 of his crew had set off in a small boat to look for safe anchorage and fresh water.  Caught in a rip the boat had been smashed against the rocks and all lives lost.  Many of the islands around this area bear the names of the lost crew men.

 

Carved into the rock about 30 meters out along the cove is a symbol that represented a postal drop point utilized in the 1860’s.  (I have loaded up a photo of it).  Apparently the ships would drop off and pick up mail from this point.

 

We have been getting lots of camping destination tips from other travelers which is terrific.  (including one for Broome – which may be useful for us all Fran).  Actually it must be almost time that you all head off on your adventure - Fran, Paul, Ollie and Sienna – have a wonderful time, travel safe and we will catch up with you in Broome later on!  Good luck with the

Gibb River Road
push bike ride Paul!!!!!

 

Cheers to everyone

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.