Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Ethan – from Lake Eyre to Port Lincoln

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 5 May 2010 | Views [781] | Comments [4]

 

Hello friends

We went to Lake Eyre and it was really cool – I wrote my name in the salt crust on the top of the Lake.  It crunched when you walked on it.  When we were there we saw the Lake Eyre Dragons and took a photo of it.

 

We were staying at a waterhole which had 3 sections.  One was shallow and muddy, one was really deep, and it also had an area of hot springs which were fed by artesian springs of 56 degrees.  They were great – we went swimming in the middle section (deep area).

 

After Lake Eyre we drove to Woomera where I saw lots of weapons and missiles in a park there.  That night we stayed at a caravan park and we met some English travelers that we had also met at Maree.  That night we all went to a really old style cinema where we watched Alice in Wonderland.  This cinema only shows a movie once a fortnight.

 

The ten days week or so I have been at Port Lincoln National Park, right on the beach, and it is beautiful.  We went fishing from the canoe, and I made friends with some people from Victoria who were also staying at the park.  They had two children aged 5 and 4. 

 

We moved to a different part of the National Park called Memory Cove.  Matthew Flinders the explorer named it after 8 of his crew that were lost at sea.  At this camp site I have been fishing and swimming.  The water is less than 17 degrees and feels like ice daggers against my skin when I go in the water which I find uncomfortable, but nice.

 

We have eaten fresh mussels and squid that we have caught and eaten for two nights in a row.  The squid was nice but a bit rubbery – but I did like it.  Yesterday Dad and I caught a small flathead – but it was too small to eat so Dad unhooked it – it was a depressing scene – then I released it, and it was calm when I lifted it out of the bucket and then it disappeared straight away.

 

While camping here a man visited with a baby orphaned joey that was wearing huggies nappies with a hole cut for the tail to pop out.  The man who is acting as a surrogate mother for the Joey, had a pouch in his car for the Joey to hop in.

 

We have also seen 4 baby emu’s with their parent – apparently it is the Dad who looks after the emu babies when they have hatched – but the mum looks after the babies if something happens to the Dad.

 

 

I hope everyone is going well

Cheers

Ethan

Comments

1

HI Ethy, Leanne and Steve,
Fun, madness, adventure, tragedy - loving all your stories. So glad all is going well - Port Lincoln NP sounds devine - not sure about that water temperature Eth!! Perhaps you can ask Dad to fashion a wetsuit out of some washed up seawood for you.
I hope now you are closer to civilisation you have managed to upgrade the quality of your vino - chateau de cardboard just does not maketh a satisfying drink!
Madly packing, organising, sorting etc....you know the drill..... hence out tardiness in not blogging you but rarely a day comes up without one of you being mentioned! Alas Leanne, you will be sorely missed as we are taking the lovely Terri out for her birthday tomorrow night - you will be saluted and hopefully you will feel our mumsy vibes channelled to you wherever you may be (sniff, sniff).
Can't wait to see you all in the next 6 weeks or so. We leave May 13 - 7 days to go!!!
Love and big hugs to you all.
XXXXXXX

  Fran and Paul May 6, 2010 2:44 PM

2

We are enjoying following your journey. Is fishing fun? I would love to go on the same trip - it looks great. Cross Country is tomorrow. The movie sounded like fun. Leanne, the old post office/bar has purple around the windows and a beautiful deck! Love NimX
I think you're lucky being away for the cross country - I'm still devising a plan to get out of it, for example, pretending to be sick, fake sleeping in??? We are learning about Aborigines this term - you may have learnt a lot about this on your trip too. With both you and Oliver away, it's not going to be as much fun. Keep having fun - the fishing looks enjoyable and I bet you're getting to do a lot of bike riding! See you dude, Asher☺

  Nimah & Asher May 6, 2010 6:48 PM

3

Oh, come on, it can't really ALL be as beautiful and interesting as the photo's and stories make it look and sound (can it?). Nathaniel and Francesca went fishing with graham on the weekend, but nowhere quite as glorious as you (Woody Point Jetty) and didn't catch anything edible either (rubbery squid sounds better than nothing).

Nathaniel missed his cross country this week as he twisted his ankle, but it's on the mend, so he will have to be up at 5.30am to get to St Lucia for his 7.30am soccer game (again) this Saturday and Francesca has a home game a bit later in the morning.

Hope the boys have organised somthing special for Mothers Day - a perfect blue sky and especially spectacular sunset perhaps?

Thinking of you all,
Sandra, Graham, Nathaniel and Francesca

  sandra, graham, nathaniel and francesca May 6, 2010 8:24 PM

4

Hi,

Do you like going around Australia so far? Because I know I would.

We are learning abount Aborigines this term and it is pretty good
to learn about (the art is really good too).

It is getting colder here. Is it getting colder were you are at the moment, or not?


Cheers from,
Elizabeth

  Elizabeth Jun 3, 2010 10:51 AM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.