Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Broken Hill

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 16 April 2010 | Views [497] | Comments [4]

We have decided that a two night stop at Broken Hill is in order so that we can recharge batteries (both human and technological), do washing, dry out the gear, stock up, and see something of the area.  I think it was Carolyn that first dubbed us the “drought breakers” because everytime we go camping it rains.  Well – it is still holding true thus far.  All of the gear seems damp – so we are hoping for a couple of good drying days to rectify this situation.

 

We are staying at a caravan park here in Broken Hill – bit of a luxury in order to have a hot shower and do some washing.  Have had a walk around the town (beautiful buildings), checked out the art galleries for numerous famous Broken Hill artists – as per Rosemary’s recommendation (I wonder what it is about this landscape that inspires such wonderful artistic endeavour?) , sampled the local Bells milk bar thickshakes and sundae’s (50’s style milkbar), bought / swapped second hand books for Ethan, and walked up the hill to visit the living sculpture garden at dusk.

 

Whilst walking around the town we befriended a family that were staying at the Palace Hotel (the hotel used in the filming of Pricilla Queen of the Desert).  This hotel also has the longest cast iron verandah in the state (another useful fact for trivia nights).   The family smuggled us in so we could see the artwork first hand – this has to be one of the highlights so far for me – I know I am tragic!!!  Have been singing the Pricilla soundtrack since our visit to the hotel. (check out the photos)

 

Continued to do the “touristy thing” and have done an underground mine tour at the historic DayDream silver mine that was in operation from 1882 until 1983.  The tour guide (an ex BHP miner himself) was really informative about the mine and its workings.  It gave us all a real sense of what life was like for miners in the late 19th century and how difficult and dangerous mining was at that time.  8 year old boys were used to work in the mine – Ethan was particularly interested in that fact.

 

Apparently the line of Lode in Broken Hill is the richest deposit of silver, lead and zinc in the world.  The ore body which is shaped like a coat hanger – is 7.5 kms long and 250m wide.  Over $100 million dollars has been generated from this ore body with many more years of mining anticipated.  I did try to ask BHP for a donation to fund our trip but unfortunately  they weren’t interested.

Comments

1

Hey Leanne, forget Bunnings as an alternative career. You look soooo groovy in the miner's helmit I think you have found your calling!!!!! (with Ethan as your hard working assistant).
Cheers
Doris

  Doris Apr 16, 2010 9:11 PM

2

Add some Priscilla soundtrack songs to our new play list and I'll be a happy girl too.

  Terri & co Apr 21, 2010 1:50 PM

3

Are you all having fun travelling Australia? The pictures of that hotel looked amazing - how did they do it on the ceiling? Cool! You must have had fun paddling on the Darling River. Leanne might be interested - I bought some purple batik sandals in Malaysia in a big craft centre. I thought you would like them but they won't fit you! ♥ LOL nimah ☺xox

  Ni'mah Apr 24, 2010 4:54 PM

4

Helloo ms Nimmy noo! Glad to hear you and your family are all back safe and sound from Vietnam. I miss you all heaps - it will have been ages before we all get to catch up again.
Your new purple batik sandals sound AWESOME! and you are right - I would definately be wanting to borrow them if they would fit!
hugs
L

  callwill Apr 29, 2010 11:06 AM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.