Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Thursday 8th April Brewarinna – Wilcannia

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 9 April 2010 | Views [539] | Comments [3]

Well, we have taken to waving to all caravan, campertrailer, and motorhome drivers on the road – and they in turn recognize fellow travelers in us and return the enthusiastic mutual salutation of the single finger raised from the steering wheel.

 

Stopped at Bourke to stock up on all forms of repellent – the mossies / sandflies / and ants are all finding us irresistible!  Refuel, and refill the gas bottle and back on the road to Cobar by 10.30am.

 

Whilst lunching at Cobar, we were advised by the locals to get some fly screen to cover the grill – grass hoppers bent on a squishy suicide are hurling themselves at the grill on the car.  Met up with a family who had stopped twice that morning to scrape a 3 inch thick layer of squashed fried grasshoppers (surely a highly sought after treat somewhere?) from their car grill in order to stop their tarago from over-heating. 

 

Lots of wild goats (although they are camera shy, every time I tried to get a photo they would run off into the bush), kangaroo’s, &  emu’s galore.

 

Overnight stop at a roadside truck / rest stop that had a playground and a pit toilet.  Ended up being about 5 other camping groups doing the same thing – including a family from Redcliffe.

Comments

1

Hey guys,
I am impressed with your daily updates - the wonders of modern technology!!
Well Leanne, if this trip doesn't turn you into a hard core camper then it just is not the pastime for you! Taking on board all that you are revealing including the mesh for in front of the car!!
Hope things continue going well for you - Eth, we miss you too and it has not even been a week since we saw you last ;0). Glad to hear that you enjoyed Mt Kaputar!

Hope Lake Eyre is as wonderful as all reports say...can't wait to see your pics and hear more wild and wonderful stories from the great "Bulldust" adventure!!
Love and hugs
Fran
XXXXXXX

  Fran and Family Apr 11, 2010 12:04 PM

2

Hey, just got back from Townsville so first chance to check out your blogs. I love living vicariously so keep it up. Doesn't the car look oh so clean in the photo taken outside the house before you left. Bet it will take weeks to scrape the dirt off when you get back! We had trouble with grasshoppers just driving out to Burdekin Falls dam from Townsville - we could barely see through the windscreen - so they must be everywhere at the moment.
Glad the foot is holding out. Thanks for the bushwalking tips from earlier blog.
Cheers
Doris

  Doris Apr 11, 2010 9:04 PM

3

Crispy fried grasshoppers - at every roadside stall in Cambodia and I believe in other parts of SEAsia. Supposed to taste OK but none of us tried as they hadn't been cooked fresh! If you're listening to ABC radio you may have heard the suggestion for grasshopper pizza too. LOL

  Terri & co Apr 21, 2010 1:46 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.