Existing Member?

7 months of Bulldust

Ethan – Broken Hill

AUSTRALIA | Friday, 16 April 2010 | Views [477] | Comments [2]

While at Broken Hill we went to get some new books from the second hand book store.  I found 3 books to read; the Roar, and two Roald Dahl books.  Later on we went on an underground mine tour.  We had to put on a safety helmet with a light (the adults had a proper mining helmet and light and a harness to hold the battery on).  On the tour we climbed down 100 foot underground and the tunnels were so low that it meant that everyone in our class would have to duck their heads – except maybe some of the shortest – mum kept hitting her head on the roof, lucky she had a helmet on!  It was pitch black underground without the torches on.  The mine was for silver and lead, I got a few little pieces – one of which has a little bit of silver in, but most of it was lead.  I also collected some charcoal from the mine’s smelter shaped like a shark tooth. 

 

After the mine tour we went to Bell’s milk bar – which was like an old fashioned milk bar.  I had a chocolate milk shake and a hot apple pie.  We also saw inside the Palace Hotel in Broken Hill that had paintings on all the walls and the ceilings.  Mum said that it had been used in the filming of Pricilla queen of the dessert.

Comments

1

Which Roald Dahl are you reading? Last night I read "The Twits!" It's very funny - if you don't have this one, I recommend it. Oh My God - are you sure you went 100 feet underground? Wow! It will be fun to follow your trip - keep writing Eth!
Your mate Asher (Ozzie, Ozzie , Ozzie, Oi, Oi Oi!)

  Asher Apr 24, 2010 4:47 PM

2

Hey! we've just been reading the Twits again and also Charlie and the Great Glass Elevator.

The girls are doing well and keeping us in eggs. Garden not faring so well - but you get that.

Sounds like the trips going well so far (that we have caught up with so far anyway).
Catch you again soon.
Graham, Sandra, Nathaniel and Francesca. :)

  The Lakes Apr 25, 2010 9:08 PM

About callwill

Heading off

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals



 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.