Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

Kelsey's visit to Samui, Thailand

THAILAND | Friday, 6 February 2009 | Views [723] | Comments [1]

Kelsey’s visit – Jan 25th to Feb 6th, ‘09
What is better than having your children spend time with you?  Again - NOTHING!!!!  Kirsten left here the day after Christmas & since Kelsey couldn’t get time off from her teaching job in Korea then, we just had the joy of her visit.  

She arrived on a sunny, 80 degree warm, Samui afternoon.  We went back to Save House for yet another delicious Thai dinner & introduced her to the caring staff that greets us every day with smiling faces.  Although the staff have had a major turnover since we first arrived in November, they somehow manage to make some pretty good Pad Thai (not as good as Jaam’s though), fresh fruit drinks & tuna salads.  The next day we again rented the same rough, jerky, stick-shift jeep for our touring the island – however, it will be sooooo nice to have our own smooth riding car when we get home!   

(See pictures to the right “Kelsey’s visit”) For the next 10 days we showed Kels what some of our favorite Koh Samui places are that include: ‘Big C’ supermarket & shopping center, the fishing village, close & distant (with crystal clear bluish-green ocean) beaches with our favorite walking fruit vendor that artistically cuts up the most delicious mangoes & pineapples, restaurants like “Free House” that serve fresh fruit shakes, the Art Café - where June, a gentle, warm-spirited owner serves the best organic/vegetarian food on the island; elephant trekking in a jungle, ‘Big Buddha’ & other Buddha’s & temples more impressive in size & beauty; and more food & drinks right here at our cozy & safe ‘Save House’ and pool.  

Kels & I have done yoga on our front porch & made use of the exercise room – even in this heat & humidity – no a/c, but 2 nice fans!  She also got her haircut & highlights by ‘Bow’ at L’Oreal – our favorite hair stylist.  Although we had wanted to take Kels to play pool with our kathoey, LadyBoy friend, Mae, Kels was more interested in seeing the ‘lady-boy’ show & also a traditional Thai dance & music program her last night – amazing how the dancers can curve their hands in the opposite direction of the way my hands normally curve?  How do they do this?  

We also chose an ‘around-the-island’ day boat trip that included snorkeling (saw a fair number of colorful fish) -- loved seeing the different kinds of beaches & rock formations!  On many of the other days, we indulged in the various types of massages – foot, face, oil, Thai, neck-shoulders-back, “Medicure” (manicure) pedicure, foot scrub, etc. – a really, really nice way to spend an hour or two for $7-12!   

Both Kels & Kirst good-naturedly put up with sleeping in our non-a/c living room on a rather thin mattress, but they got the benefits of having Chuck make them coffee in the morning with freshly made yogurt, museli, & always fresh fruit!  We loved having her!  It was soooo GREAT to have them both be a witness to what Chuck & I have been experiencing the last 3months – to meet the people we have come to know & love, taste the foods we will dearly miss & see the sights we will want to come back to.  YEAH!!  Thanks again for your visits!  

Comments

1

Ahhh this brings me back to a wamrer place, the heart is filled with joy and excitment and the mind full of memories of adventure,, thanks for writing it all down!!

  Marilou Apr 26, 2009 3:03 PM

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.