Existing Member?

Wander & enjoy the diversity...it feeds your soul “What is more miraculous than the moment?” Vietnamese monk Thich Nhat Hanh

Thailand's "Visa-run"

THAILAND | Thursday, 22 January 2009 | Views [901] | Comments [1]

1/22/09 - Thailand’s ‘visa-run’ requirement (pictures to the right – “Visa-run”)

Thursday, Chuck & I became two of probably thousands of people each year, who are required to make a tourist ‘visa-run’ since we wanted to continue staying in Thailand after 90 days.  The first visa extension, after 60 days, was done right here on Samui at the Immigration office in Nathon.  To get the next extension, one is required to leave the country.  So….we bought ‘visa-run’ tickets that included a van pick-up at 5 AM, a 1 ½ hour Seatran Ferry ride, a 4 hr van trip to Satun where you cross over to the Malaysian border – going through the motions of presenting your passport to the “Departure Thailand, Arrival Malaysia, Departure Malaysia, Arrival Thailand” agents – this all takes about a half-hour & then we do the whole trip again returning to Samui by 6:30 PM.  The best part of the day – seeing the absolutely beautiful sunrise over an amazingly calm ocean while leaving Samui – spectacular!  The big surprise was that we only got a 15-day extension  - - which isn’t even long enough to get us to the date of our departure from Samui, let alone Bangkok!  So…always count on changing plans…we are working on that!

Comments

1

You could always make a quick trip to India. I hear Chennai has great coffee. :)

  Kirsten Jan 31, 2009 5:08 PM

About annanderson


Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Thailand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.