Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Vientiane and the end of Laos

LAOS | Saturday, 28 April 2007 | Views [1462] | Comments [1]

Do you like men in sandals?
Call the Jesus line on 0891LadyBoy

Do you like men in sandals? Call the Jesus line on 0891LadyBoy

The capital of Laos and a place to bore me with a capital B.  The most 'exciting' part of my travels was getting to Vientiane.  On the way to the airport there had been a bad motorbike crash.  A young, very bloody guy, was being propped up on the side of the road - a huge crowd had gathered, nobody was giving first aid, nobody was apparently doing anything!  I pass in my tuk-tuk and some of the crowd indicate that the driver should stop and that we should take the injured guy to be helped.  My driver just ignored them...at first I'm really angry, maybe i could give first aid, maybe we should have stopped and thought about moving him (do they have ambulances).  Then helplessness sets in - what could i really do, i don't speak any of the language and there are many around him, including important looking, obviously educated people who surely could more than me.  I'm still 'upset about it - not the best of start for my flight. 

However, the flight is a little less bumpy than the last - although the lady next to me says her prayers before we start.  I'm also sure there is Shell from big brother on my row.  Not that i admit to watching any of those programs :-/ 

Vientiane is a pleasant little city with a good expat setup - lots of cafes and bars, although it does seem as though it's being rebuilt at the moment.  But what else do you do in this town?  Apparently you go ten pin bowling for a few hours, and eat lots of cakes...at least that's what i did.  i couldn't move my arm the next day but my taste buds had been satisfied... for a short while.  Vientiane isn't a bad place to see on your way into North Laos, i just wouldn't recommend it for more than a day.  Unless you really like ten pin bowling and eating cakes that is.

Laos as a whole i would recommend however.  It's the south Asian country I've spent the least time in and yet the one i think i should have spent the most time in.  I hope to come back to this country to see more of the north, the beautiful countryside, the trekking and water activities available, and the interesting people.  I just hope i can get back to this country before it changes too much more.

Tags: conclusions?

 

Comments

1

What is with the pink boudoir? Too much tropical sun Shane? . Shane: only $30 dollars a day and i throw in the sandals for free... ...in the voice of Austin Powers "do i make you horny, baby?"

  Jan May 3, 2007 1:39 PM

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.