Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

The end of Cambodia

CAMBODIA | Monday, 12 March 2007 | Views [1149] | Comments [2]

I cheated for this one - it's taken through my sunglasses :)

I cheated for this one - it's taken through my sunglasses :)

So it's been a month, I've seen Angkor Wat - number one on my list for SE Asia and I've learned to dive - one of the many things on my list of things to do before i die (sad i know to have a list).  I have this feeling i will never be back to Cambodia, but truly who can know.  So what are my impressions? 

I'm repeatedly told that the people are friendly, yet i find them capitalists with a great sense of humour. :-/ 
It's an interesting mix and generally means you can laugh while getting ripped off.

The yes mentality.  You have to be very careful how you phrase a question because the answer is always yes.

Parts of the country are simply beautiful, parts are just coated in rubbish.

I love the dress sense, how often do you see people go around in pyjamas with teddy bears on, and all in the middle of the day.  If the pyjamas are bright yellow - even better :)

I hate being looked at as a wallet - it's true of all the Asian countries I've been in, i will never get used to it, but i know I can't blame them.  i need to get a t-shirt in the local language telling them nicely to get lost - the equvalent of a no thanks to cold callers in England.

The noise, the noise, Esmeralda, the noise - this place is NEVER quiet.

The fumes, the tuk-tuks, the motos, "moto my friend", "where you go", it never stops.  Combine the smells and the noise and it really is easy to get overwhelmed, no wonder people have culture shock.

The beach, so i've spent 13 nights of my 30 on the beach.  It's not that there aren't other places to go....honest.  Seafood, sunsets, sand everywhere...

I enjoyed Cambodia though - an experience worth having.  The negative things are only going to get worse i think in the short term - you better go while you can.

Amedment a few week after:  i realise this isn't exactly a glowing endorsement for Cambodia.  Yes there's bad...but there's also Angkor, and i DID really enjoy the place...

Tags: Conclusions?

 

Comments

1

not exactly a glowing endorsement, but honest... you'll appreciate that when the rose-tinted spectacles kick in (or should that be sunglasses ?) <br>- shane:no rose-tinted glasses for me, i'm too much of a tourist...no time to put them on

  Tam Apr 1, 2007 10:28 PM

2

You said it all......

Place is like Afghanistan with palm trees and better sewage system.

"Tuk Tuk sir? I take you see killing field?"

Vietnam rocks thou.

  Kris Aug 11, 2009 7:50 PM

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.