Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Into Laos

LAOS | Friday, 2 February 2007 | Views [1169]

My first view of the Mekong in Laos

My first view of the Mekong in Laos

I hadn't actually expected to go into Laos today...let  me explain: I took a late train to Ubon Ratchathani and didn't arrive their until 14:15.  Immediately a tuk-tuk driver asked (in reasonable English) whether i wanted to go to Laos.  This set off a series of journeys by motorbike, tuk-tuk, 2 open backed buses called something like songthaews and of course the old two feet, before i arrived in the Laos town of Pakse.  One of the buses really worried me: Bob the backpack was on the top and this was a long journey and a bumpy road.  I kept having visions of him flying off under the wheels of a motorbike.  Of course everyone else was oblivious, and by everyone else i mean the 30 others squashed onto the bus that is really no bigger than a Range Rover.

I should mention the border crossing.  What i should have done is had my passport stamped and my departure card checked at the Thailand border before purchasing my Laos visa.  In reality they waved me right through (so technically i had never left) - A couple i met called George and Jane (yes real names) pointed out that this could of caused me hassle later when i want to re-enter Thailand.  So i had to go back to get a stamp - amazingly he understood my explanation...and then he laughed at me.

After I have an Indian meal with George and Jane - yes i had my camera and no i have no photos (as always), I retire for the night in one of the Teak guesthouses in town.  I think I'm going to Champasak, Si Phan Dong islands and then across the border into Cambodia.  I think I'll be away from the Internet for a while...

Tags: On the Road

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Laos

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.