Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Salerno and Pompei

ITALY | Friday, 8 December 2006 | Views [1781]

:)

its CHRISTMAS!

:) its CHRISTMAS!

It was another hour of driving around to find the car hire company and then get myself a train.  I knew i was going to Paulo and from there to Palermo in Sicily.  I know this as i had decided it 3 nights before.  Upon arriving at Paulo i discover that the timetable their does not agree with the online one i did 3 nights ago nor with the printed one at Cosenza.  HOW DO THESE PEOPLE MANAGE!  Italians MY GOD.  i could mention a war or 2 but that would be under the belt.  Due to the timetable of the trains i decide to skip Sicily and the (probably) expensive ferry from their to Naples and go straight to Naples.  10 minutes after buying that ticket i decide to go to Salerno instead.  Settled.

Why i decided upon Salerno i don't know - i have no guide book as i never expected to be in Italy and every book shop i have been in has every guide book except one on Italy  WHY?!  the only guide books are in Italian anyway, but at least i could sort of translate, my Italian is coming on wonders.  I asked where the left luggage was yesterday and i swear i said something like baggio leavio wherio and they knew what i meant!

Salerno is not too bad a place, my hostel is a bit strange - it has communal showers, and no it's not a gay hostel - but hey you know how the Italians like to kiss everyone.  The town has geared up for xmas with lights and decorations everywhere, im not really in the xmas spirit though - i cant buy anything :(

I took a day trip to Pompei - a great but wet experience.  It's strange to see the ruins, while seeing the modern day town in the background and Mount Vesuvius just a short distance away - it has to happen again surely.  It's an awesome site, and one i definitely recommend going to see.

So I've spent 3 nights in Salerno, it's not a bad base, but i think I'm ready to have my own shower again.

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Italy

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.