Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Quelzaltenango (Xela) part three

GUATEMALA | Tuesday, 13 May 2008 | Views [3019]

at 2333m this is Xela...

at 2333m this is Xela...

I didn't want to leave this place...so i didn't...

I extended my stay yet again for as long as i physically (time travelling each day) and financially (bus v plane) dared.  I have a flight booked from Mexico to the States next week.  Alas i feel i must take it.

It's been an intensive and emotional last 3 weeks; a combination derived from the people I have met, my studies in Spanish and my travel time coming to an end.  Michelle and her son Mario have allowed me to feel part of a family - I've felt honoured, even loved.  Kim my housemate has allowed me into her confidence - I've done my best to be a friend.  If ever there had been an emotionally difficult time in someones life, this has to be it.  I'm not talking about just me...

So I've finished a 2nd week of study in Xela, my 5th week in total.  It's a woefully inadequate amount of time.  I've explored Xela's museum of culture and history - managing not to throw-up at their stuffed animals and human foetus collection - I can still smell that room.  I've been shown Fuentes Georginas, a beautiful series of hot springs amongst the clouds and some cool places in Xela that maybe only 6 months of living there can let you find.  I'm still not sure what it is about this place that i like so much; of all the amazing places I've seen!  Perhaps it's the people that make all the difference.

It's nearly time to throw off my manacles of materialism, speak Spanish fluently, dance the salsa and be free.  How wonderfully pretentious I'm sounding today...

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Guatemala

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.