Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Dubrovnik

CROATIA | Tuesday, 7 November 2006 | Views [2636]

View of Stari Grad from bombed out cable car station

View of Stari Grad from bombed out cable car station

Dubrovnik

So I'm on the bus when i get asked by two others whether i want to see if we can get an apartment together, two others who happen to be girls.."OK" i say :)
It turns out that the bloke next to us on the bus owns an apartment, perfect for the 3 of us - its great to have a bit of space and a kitchen again.

Jan and Raena provide a nice mix, we all have at least 10 years between us and we are all from different countries and backgrounds. Jan is a very nice lady from Aus who has represented her country at the world triathlon and is full of life and energy. Raena is from the US and is just very sweet and naive about certain things although she is very mature for her age. The sweetness of course allows the rest of us to take the p out of her constantly. The next 3 days seem to go in a blur: talking, eating, drinking sight seeing and more talking. Its nice to have a little base and a bit of stability for a change. we have space to do our own thing but company readily available, and the 3 of us get on well. Jan also seems to like talking to, well, anybody. At dinner one night she invites a couple over to join us - they are an English couple so typically such a suggestion is not normal, you should have seen their faces. They didn't know what to say. its no surprise when we are joined later by an American girl who helps us wile-away the evening in the Hemmingway bar - drinking red wine and laughing with the bar tender. I cant stress what hard work it is to travel.

Dubrovnik has a beautiful old town that was practically rebuilt due to the war. it was terribly hit and you don't have to look to hard to see the bullet holes and the bomb damage. With a bit of time and exploration ,it soon becomes obvious that it isn't only the old town that has character. there is a hill overlooking the old town with the ruins of a cable car on it that is well worth the climb, and the port area contains replica tall ships and of course the crystal clear waters of this area.

I had a great time in Dubrovnik and the longer i spend here the more i like it. Jan and i say our goodbyes to Raena who sails to Italy and so the trio is split :(

i do feel ready to leave however...so its time to move on.

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Croatia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.