Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Wellington

NEW ZEALAND | Wednesday, 30 January 2008 | Views [967]

It's not as green as Christchurch, but it certainly isn't bad.

It's not as green as Christchurch, but it certainly isn't bad.

I said I'd give Wellington another chance - what were we thinking not to like it last time Tony?!  This place is great!

I'd needed to use a flight credit somewhere, and I've been rapidly running out of time to use it.  To get to New Zealand i had to book an onward flight - i found this out at the check-in desk waiting to fly here.  So i buy the cheapest flight possible to a place that doesn't need an onward flight, cancel my flight when i reach here, pay 50 bucks for that privilege and then receive a credit flight - not money back, so i can book a more expensive flight by phone as online isn't available with a credit flight.  Hmmm, I'm sensing a swizz.  I'd tried to fly to Tonga or Fiji but my credit just didn't go that far - so Wellington it was, and i was to meet another two travellers I'd met before on my flight.  It REALLY is a small world.

Wellington actually feels like a city, it's a similar size to Christchurch but in a much smaller space.  At the weekend it rocks.  It has lots of cafes, restaurants, pubs, clubs, theatres, cinemas, museums and galleries, and for once there is one worth mentioning.  In the major towns i usually try and visit a gallery or a museum, and I'm glad i went to the Te Papa museum.  It's a sort of cross between London's Natural History Museum, The Science Museum, The Victoria and Albert and The National Gallery, all wrapped up in a beautiful building.  It has something for everyone.

There are hills overlooking the city centre with great views - Victory Hill and the Botanic Garden in particular.  The quay isn't bad but could be much nicer and there's a large industrial blot on the landscape.  It's a windy and hilly city, but it isn't unattractive overall.

I end up overdosing at the cinema, mainly because i can't walk very much during my last 2 days.  A food shelf in my hostel collapsed on my toe, and what made it worse was that someone had stolen some of my food!   Grrrr.

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.