Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Tongariro Crossing

NEW ZEALAND | Tuesday, 20 November 2007 | Views [1750] | Comments [1]

The northern circuit is one of the 9 great walks of NZ.  A 4 day trek past stunning volcanic peaks (Mt Doom from LOR's), azure blue lakes, sulphurous hot springs and knackered fellow trekkers.  I'll ignore the fact that my fellow trekkers are nearly twice my age - i need all the help i can get.

We stay in what seems to be the only hostel in National Park - not the national Park, but a town with that name - confused?.  It's a bizarre hostel with more space taken up by a rarely used climbing frame than by beds.  After the long drive, we enjoy what has become one of our many stops for 'coffee and cake' before sorting out some accommodation for the week.  It's coming up to the busy summer season and we've got to be careful to make the best use of Tony's limited time.

A big bus full of mainly Danish (people not cakes unfortunately as i haven't had breakfast yet), and a desire to get away from the crowds starts our early morning trek.  We'll be doing the Tongariro crossing - a one day "moderate" trek of about 8 hours, with side-treks up Tongariro and Ruapehu peaks for the very fit and slightly insane.  I don't think the photos can do this trek justice.  It's amazing to see cooled rivers of lava, to feel steam from the ground warm your legs one minute and then walk through snow the next.  A dramatic landscape indeed.

It's a fairly tough trek for our first and it's a long slog downhill at the end in the rain.  Luckily we have Tony's never ending trail mix to keep us going.  He was like a kid in a sweet shop.

A good first 'tramp'. (please note the a)

Tags: trekking, volcano

 

Comments

1

I adored this tramp too, except that energy-zapping end slog. Do you know about the iron-man competition... they RUN the Tongariro Crossing...now there's insanity for you!... shane: i'd have run it, only i didn't want to leave my aged mate behind...

  Tam Nov 28, 2007 5:07 PM

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.