Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Bay of Islands

NEW ZEALAND | Sunday, 11 November 2007 | Views [1118]

Waiting for the ferry with a pint

Waiting for the ferry with a pint

If the rest of my time in NZ is like this then I'm in serious trouble, wow oh wow, I love this place. It's simply a beautiful bay overlooking some of the many islands in this region. The beaches are a long, golden curve, the surrounding countryside a lush, green delight, the bay a calm, deep blue and the sun setting from the little town of Russel opposite where i stayed in Paihia...magical. It has huge numbers of tourists that flock here, yet Paihia has the feel of a small Swiss town, it has loads of water activities and of course some great diving.

Even with 15C water, how could i not dive the Rainbow Warrior?! Sank in 1985 by the Environmentally conscious French, with the death of one Portuguese guy, it sits at a depth of 27m a little up the coast. With visibility of 15m, water that had an ethereal clarity, a cool swim through the middle of the wreck and a bizarre moray eel, the whole dive was out of this world.

The rest of my time is spent with Sam, a nice girl i met on the bus here, who unusually for me to meet is English, and 'only' has a month to travel. She's attempting two months worth of activities in that time - from sky diving to bungee jumping. She made me feel very tired, and i think i made her feel very jealous with my slightly longer break.

I don't want to leave this place; a cool hostel, friendly roommates, views i love... but with a hard lesson in life. A young backpacker died while swimming on the day i arrived...you've only one life :-(

Tags: diving, island

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about New Zealand

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.