Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

How was the serenity?

AUSTRALIA | Wednesday, 7 November 2007 | Views [911]

always take the weather with you..

always take the weather with you..

Time has just flown eh, with barely enough time to get a stubby from the eskie, put another prawn on the barbie or run for the now needed dunny.  Over 10 weeks have been skied, trekked, drunk, dived and toured away -and I've barley scratched the surface cobber.

It's been good, it's been easy, and it's been great to catch up with friends but boy has it been expensive. I couldn't afford to stay much longer and because of its cultural similarities I'm not sure I'd want to.  There's lots more i want to see and do...but next time will be fine.

The cost has shocked me, as has the number of fast food joints and fat people as a result (maybe they're the tourists), not to mention the governments view on the environment (Kyoto, GM food, pulp mill etc). This place is the USA of the south and it's a very worrying - so much for the green, healthy image.  Things...house prices, wages, population, immigration, drought levels are all on the increase at a fast rate, and i can't help but feel it's got ahead of itself...cracks are showing.  Don't let that put you off, nor the fear of sharks/snakes/spiders.  You're far more likely to see kangaroos (dead and alive), and koalas (brain dead and barely alive).  There are plenty of upsides; most people are friendly, there are lots of eco tours, it has an amazing climate and awesome sights, smoking is banned in lots of places and without a doubt the standard of living is higher than in England.  Right now it's still a great country to live in.

I end my short trip with a day of indulgence - the film 'Across the Universe", a sort of musical of Beatles songs.  They're still my all time favourite band and my enjoyment is not lessened by the Scientology advert at the start of the film and the weird bloke next to me who can't stop himself from talking/singing/laughing/crying out aloud. I then have another nostalgic spasm by going to see a Crowded House concert - a perfect end to my time in Oz.

Tags: Conclusions?

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.