Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

The Last Few Days of True Freedom

AUSTRALIA | Sunday, 7 October 2007 | Views [884]

I think i went a bit overboard on the wine buying - i have a week to drink all of this...  hic

I think i went a bit overboard on the wine buying - i have a week to drink all of this... hic

I'd like to throw the map away and prove my blog title to be true.  It would make little difference however, maps, music, me and driving are a disastrous combination.  Fortunately it's very easy to drive in Australia outside the cities.  Long straight roads, few cars, unending scenery, cool music - you know you've driven for too long when you can't feel your bum anymore.  i cover nearly 2000km in 8 days without seemingly trying.

I visit Eccles national Park for a few walks, some great volcanic scenery and to be attacked my birds protecting their young.  I hastily make my way to the Grampians National Park for a few days.  Yes another place named after a British one - you can't call the colonisers very original.  The Grampians turn out to be beautiful; the park was devastated by bush fires a couple of years ago and it's only just beginning to recover.  Spring is now in full, vibrant bloom, bursting through the blackened trunks, waterfalls are showing off their best, and there are about 150km of marked trails for snakes to be surprised by me (i don't get a photo this time).  I've got a great hostel, a friendly room mate (too friendly as he won't shut-up), and I'm really excited to be here.  A 5-6 hour walk runs into 3 hours, and 2 days of walking are zoomed into 1 day.  Log fires, red wine, home cooked stews are a welcome end to my day.  I wish i could spend longer here...

My next car stop is a spur of the moment change of scenery - Glenelg, Adelaide's beach resort.  It's sort  of like an English seaside town, ice-creams and all - but without the kiss-me-quick and the donkey rides (although they have camels!).  It's not my cup of tea - at least the main strip of it.  I'm also in a hostel that's full of kids - it's the interstate lacrosse championship.  This means lacrosse in the street amongst the cars, archery in the hallway amongst the guests and drunk teenage kids at midnight.  Damn i am getting old.  I'm to return here though, to collect a jacket i accidentally leave - I realise 6 hours later.

The next part of my journey is a red wine induced, heavenly blur.  My mouth aches from smiling and drinking so much.  Mount Lofty, German inspired towns with English cream teas, McClaren Vale, Barossa Valley and many wineries later and I'm a more educated (easily done), relaxed (not so easily done), and poorer (too easily done) happy, chappy.  My only annoyance is my coincidental timing with the annual marching band competition.  You call that music!?  The self-congratulating noise doesn't sound anywhere as good as the whispering wall - a man-made acoustic phenomenon.  I've come across them before, the science makes perfect sense and yet they bring a huge mile to my face.  Someone 150m away, stands at the end of the curved wall (dam in this case).  You can barely see who is talking and yet it sounds as if they are right in front of you.  I would challenge anyone not to be impressed.

I've got one more day of having a car - it's time to see Adelaide...but that's another story (thank god).

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.