Existing Member?

He only went out for some milk A blurb of monstrous proportions - it was only supposed to be a couple of lines and the odd photo.

Kotor

SERBIA | Friday, 10 November 2006 | Views [2768]

View from bus of fjord :)

View from bus of fjord :)

This is another little town by the coast with a walled old town.  this one however is in Montenegro not Croatia.  Its an easy morning bus journey that Jan and i take and then Jan goes on a mission to find not only us but an American couple called Tom and Mary accommodation too.  with the group negotiation we and up with a 2 bedroom apartment for 8 euros each, it has a cooker (which doesn't work), hot and cold air-con (which doesn't work) but no fridge or even heating - but its OK, just a bit cold.  

Kotor is on one of Europe's biggest Fjords and the bus journey to it is amazing.  the water is perfectly still and always perfectly clear - just the colour ranges from a deep blue to a brilliant green.  all around are mountains and old ruins - all of which are lit up at night and reflect in the water.  the water makes this place beautiful in the right light.  the mountains however also mean it gets dark quickly and the stone of the old town just sucks the heat from your body.  the only solution is good food and a glass of red wine in a restaurant or/and a bar.

Jan and i spend most of our time walking around the area or getting lost in the maze of streets in the old town - she has a worse sense of direction than me (she claims its the cold ).  we also go for a day trip to Budva which has a few great beaches, a very nice little old town and some of the most interesting rocks I've ever seen.  yes you read that right - rocks.  thin layers, twisted and inter-woven with veins of other rock materials - hopefully my pictures will do it justice.  we also manage to take a short cut through trees at the edge of the beach and come stumbling out of the other end 30 minutes later covered in sweat and bits of leaves - it was Jan's idea. (she really is worse than me for a sense of direction).

Its a short and sweet trip to Montengro, but in that short time I've met friendly people and seen some fantastic scenery.  Its a good couple of days, but again I'm ready to move on...

 

About all_powered_up

one ruined t-shirt and one ruined pair of trousers.  cool.

Follow Me

Where I've been

Favourites

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Serbia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.