Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

On the Elbe

GERMANY | Saturday, 11 October 2014 | Views [385]

American Breakfast in Germany!

American Breakfast in Germany!

In the morning I found Simon and Sarah still awake and watching Sons of Anarchy in the other room.  I’ve decided young Germans do not sleep on the weekends. It was time for me to make American breakfast for the apartment, so Simon and I took inventory of what ingredients he had and went off to the store. I was going to make pancakes and French toast for the next two mornings. It was easy to find the basics like flour and sugar in the store. However, it is quite difficult to find maple syrup in Germany. We had to settle with “Canadian style sugar syrup” which was a little bit less maple flavored than I expected.

Back at the apartment I whipped up some bacon and pancakes while everybody got ready for the day. After being fueled up, Simon, Sarah and I headed into the city to the Hamburg Landungsbrücken to catch a ferry. We cruised along the Elbe River for a little over a half an hour until we arrived at Finkenwerder. The ferry was fun to see the bridges and parts of the city from the water. It was a nice day too!

From the dock we took a short bus ride to our destination, the Airbus factory in Finkenwerder. This is the facility where the final pieces of the plane are assembled and the aircraft is painted. Then they are flown from the on-site airport to ensure everything is working properly. Just on the side of the airfield is a lookout platform that is open to the public. We went and had a drink while we watched the facility operate from the platform. After some time, it started to rain a little (read: heavily), so we caught the bus back to the ferry and took the train back to Wilhelmsburg.

After dropping some things off at Simon’s, we went over to his friend Meik’s apartment. We had met the other night. We hung out with a bunch of his friends for a few hours. Our original purpose for visiting was to pick up a blanket for me to use while I slept, but it was fun to hang out with Simon’s friends. Also, I booked spontaneously booked my flight back home for Monday morning while sitting on Meik’s couch. We eventually left with a blanket in tow. At the train station back to Simon’s we grabbed a kebab and a few drinks for later. About an hour later, the people that were at Meik’s apartment came over and hung out. There was a popular DJ performing later in the night at the bar we were at on Friday. However, he did not start until 4 or 5 AM. I tried my hardest, but around 3:00 AM I was dozing off on the couch and told everybody to go on without me.

Tags: airbus, american breakfast, elbe, ferry, maple syrup, sarah, simon, steffen

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Germany

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.