Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

Old Town Stockholm

SWEDEN | Tuesday, 9 September 2014 | Views [374]

Old Town in Stockholm

Old Town in Stockholm

I was thinking of joining the bicycle tour given by the hostel in the morning, but all the spots were booked by the time I checked. Instead I went to the Old Town borough of the city and did some exploring. It is a nice section of the city but very tourist oriented. Some of the streets were so small that you can touch the walls of building on either side simultaneously. Eventually I found myself in front of the palace. I must have a knack for appearing at palaces at just the right time because the changing of the guard was just starting as I walked up. Similar to Copenhagen, the ceremony was pretty low key and only took about 10 minutes.

Finished with the palace I wandered toward the hostel while exploring a few parks along the way. Also, I stopped for a pretty good caramel late at a Swedish coffee joint. Back at the hostel I did a little planning for my destinations after Germany. I may be changing my plans a bit. Everywhere I go people are saying how great Budapest and Dublin are, so I might try to work those places into my trip. I’ve also decided to skip Venice. I’ve already seen enough canals to last long enough for me.

Some guys got back to the hostel from a museum and I went and grabbed some tai food with one of them for dinner. Then I decided to sauna again, since it was enjoyable the last night and it is a very Scandinavian thing to do. It was then time for some cards with the Aussies at the hostel. We had a few laughs and played some cards for most of the night.

Tags: changing of the guard, coffee, old town, palace, presdients and assholes, sauna, stockholm, sweden

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Sweden

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.