Existing Member?

Not Wasting A Minute In the Autumn of 2014 I decided to not go to school, not get a job, and not renew an apartment lease. Crazy? Fun? Scary? Yes, yes and yes. But it's time to take a bite out of the world before it chews me up and spits me out like a bad taste

Rainy Holiday

UNITED KINGDOM | Monday, 25 August 2014 | Views [358]

My rainy morning view from Southwark Bridge

My rainy morning view from Southwark Bridge

England’s rainy stereotype can remain intact.  It’s been raining all day and will not likely stop. Besides the rain though, it is quite pleasant outside. I was out and about sometime around 10 am and the holiday combined with the rain kept almost all of the locals and other tourists away.  When I was exploring the Tate Modern, I had it all to myself. Unfortunately, most of the exhibitions available were not my style, so I didn’t stay too long. Instead I worked my way over to the National Gallery. It was much more interesting. After some time, the rest of the tourists must have decided to come out and join me because the place filled up in less than 30 minutes. The rain must have pushed everybody from outside in the square to the gallery. Art museums are no fun when there are too many people around to see the art. That plus my grumbling stomach made me decide it was time to leave. I jumped on a train and headed towards the Borough Market.  They are normally open with a partial market to serve lunch, but I had forgotten the holiday would mean no vendors. After marking down to visit later in the week, I hadn’t completely dried out. Reading a book and drying out sounded pretty good. My hostel was just around the corner, so I made my way there and stopped for some groceries on the way.

Now I’m sitting out back on the covered patio eating my store bought lunch. The Science Museum may be my destination a bit later. I haven’t planned much past my book (and tea of course).

Tags: england, london, national gallery, rain, sainsburys, tate modern, uk

 

About schmodude

Stonehenge!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about United Kingdom

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.