Existing Member?

Mat and Vendy's travels

Angkor Wat and Siam Reap

CAMBODIA | Friday, 14 August 2009 | Views [780]

Today we got up early to see sunrise at Angkor Wat, it was a bit difficult but well worth it. It was not as busy as we expected, and afterwards our guide took us through so we could see the temple. What an amazing place! I don't know how else to describe it.

Yesterday we visited Ta Prohm, made famous by Angelina Jolie and the Tomb Raider film. It is held up by trees, and also being destroyed by them but it is great to see how the forest has become part of the temple. Then we moved on to Angkor city and saw where the Khmer king lived and how he lived. Very interesting! His palace is on almost 10km2 of land! Fianlly we visited another couple of temples in the palace grounds before going on to see the pink temple out of town. It was well organised as the bus trip took about an hour and we went there after lunch so most of us managed a siesta! It was the most impressive in the way of carvings and considering it is 200 years older than the other temples it is in a much better state. Another amazing couple of days! This afternoon we visited a floating village on the Tonle Sap lake and saw how the people lived - That was something else - A floating police station and school as well as floating shops! Next we'll have a swim and I might have a fish massage later (where fish chew on your feet to clean them! different! Vendy will proabably have another thai massage.....

About matsmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Cambodia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.