Existing Member?

Mat and Vendy's travels

Hot in Hanoi

VIETNAM | Tuesday, 28 July 2009 | Views [760]

Yesterday we did a lot of exploring in the city and it just got hotter and hotter - the weather websites said it was 37, but feeling like 50! The city is really interesting and bustling with life. The people are really friendly and everything is exactly how I was expecting it to be. We explored the french quarter, the old city, the Hoam Kiem lake and the temple on the lake.

By three o'clock we returned to the hotel for  well deserved rest in the hotel and promptly fell asleep for a couple of hours.

Then we met our group who are a nice mix of people from switzerland, USA and New Zealand, Australia and England. Our guide is a Vietnamese man called Hoang so quite an international group!

Hoang took us out for a lovely meal - I had beef, cabbage and noodles (flat ones - like lasagna)and Vendy had seafood noodles. I was happy as I was beginning to think I would have to live on bread and peanuts here!

Today the weather is completely different, it's not as hot and there is a constant drizzle falling which is actually nicer for sightseeing. so far. we have visited Ho Chi Minhs memorial and Pagoda, and then we went to the Temple of Literature which was very interesting and has a very Chinese influence. It was the first University in Vietnam, opened in the 10th Century.

As I'm writing this I'm waiting to meet Darren (and his wife, who are working here) for lunch before going off to the water puppet show tonight - I'm sure that will be an new experience! 

 

Tags: ho chi minh, temple of literature, water puppet show

About matsmith


Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

Highlights

Near Misses

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Vietnam

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.