Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 182: Dunsborough to Denmark

AUSTRALIA | Monday, 5 May 2008 | Views [695]

Dad beside a huge tree at 'The Ancient Empire Walk', Valley of the Giants, WA

Dad beside a huge tree at 'The Ancient Empire Walk', Valley of the Giants, WA

Monday 5th May

We left Dunsborough at about 10.00 and set off in a south easterly direction on our way towards the town of Denmark where we had booked another villa for the last three nights that Mum & Dad and I were spending together, before we made our way back to Perth.

Before leaving, we passed by the beach at Yallingup and saw about twenty surfers out on the sea trying to catch some waves. Apparently, this is a great spot and attracts surfers from all over. It looked odd to see so many of them in one place, I thought they would collide with each other very easily, but they clearly knew what they were doing and I didn't, having never been on a surfboard in my life.

Once we got on the road proper, we passed through the towns of Nannup, and stopped in Pemberton for lunch before making our way on down to the coastal road. The drive was the same as usual: straight roads, forests and the odd bit of wildlife, with more than a few wineries scattered about.

We stopped at the 'Tree Top Walk' in an area called the 'Valley of The Giants', a forest that is home to huge tingle tingle trees, located near the town of Walpole. Here, we got to walk across a metal structure (about 40m high in places) through the tree-top canopy of these massive, ancient trees. Another walk at ground level – 'The Ancient Empire' – was probably even more impressive, with towering trees, some with arches through the middle of them, stood side by side along a trail. We were all really impressed by the sight of some pretty amazing trees.

It was getting dark by the time we arrived into Denmark and we checked into our accommodation, a lovely wooden cabin set on top of the rolling hills overlooking the Wilson Inlet and the Indian Ocean beyond. The place we were staying was called 'Celestial Retreat' and it was another great place to spend a few days.

We went for dinner in the restaurant of a local hotel and waited for over an hour for our food, which was a bit of a pain considering we were all pretty tired in the first place.

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.