Existing Member?

Mark's World Tour 2007-08

Day 183: Beautiful Denmark

AUSTRALIA | Tuesday, 6 May 2008 | Views [1312]

Sunset at 'Green's Pool'

Sunset at 'Green's Pool'

Tuesday 6th May

I was still not sure what I was going to do with myself once I left Mum & Dad in Perth two days later, so did some research in an internet cafe on the main street of Denmark, a small but appealing little town. I was undecided as to whether I was going to just make my way up the coast of WA on the Greyhound Bus, or whether I would buy a ticket for a backpackers bus tour that would be more expensive, but would allow me to hop on and off at certain places on the way up to my final destination of Darwin in the Northern Territory.

Once we had finished and I had a better idea of what I wanted to do, we got some food, stopped at an information centre and spoke to a very friendly Scottish guy who told us to visit some of the beaches along the coast near Denmark. William Bay National Park in the area surrounding Denmark is home to some stunning scenery, and we stopped off at the mouth of the Wilson Inlet and saw the sweeping white sands of Ocean Beach.

The highlight of the day was the visit to Green's Pool, a fantastic bay that is sheltered from the sea by huge rocks that are scattered throughout it. One of the coves next to it is called 'Elephant Rocks', so called because of large grey rocks that look vaguely like elephants walking into the ocean. Dad and I decided to go for a swim as the setting was so good and the water looked very inviting in the golden light of the late afternoon. Sometimes you just have to make the most of these things, and it's not often that we get the chance to swim in such beautiful surroundings. It was cool enough getting into the water, but once underwater it felt great, especially as it was the first time I had been in for a dip since being in Mui Ne in Vietnam the previous month.

We headed back to the villa, stopping off down the road in a residential area where we had been told that kangaroos congregate at dusk to do whatever kangaroos do. There were quite a lot of them just hanging about on a manmade lawn, and it was interesting to see so many of them in one place. Of course, once the sun goes down then a lot of them come up a cropper and end up dead on the side of the road, having collided with cars and other vehicles. Apparently, they're not the most intelligent of animals and can do a lot of damage to your car, so most drivers in the countryside try and avoid driving at night unless it's necessary.

After getting freshened up, we went for dinner in a much better place than the restaurant the night before, this one called 'The River Bistro'. I had some pan-fried tuna which was one of the nicest dishes I had tasted in a long time, and the pink snapper was pretty good too. It had been a really great day and we got back to the cabin in good form. After doing a bit more reading on my onward trip, I turned in for the night.

 

About markr_mcmahon

Shaaaape of ye!

Follow Me

Where I've been

Photo Galleries

My trip journals


See all my tags 


 

 

Travel Answers about Australia

Do you have a travel question? Ask other World Nomads.